Help resetting a 3060 Ti after VM shutdown

MrnMrk

Feb 21, 2023
So, i have been searching around the whole day, and I think the problem is that the gpu does not reset once the VM is either shutdown or rebooted, PVE just get in a very "freezy" state, and dmesg reports as this: https://i.imgur.com/8Mv9dzy.png. Is there a way to fix this problem? vendor-reset only works for AMD gpus.

Ask NVidia to support the open source driver or at least provide documentation to the people making the nouveau driver and vendor-reset.
So you are saying that everyone who is using a GeForce GPU does have this issue?

so i have another question, is it more of a VM software driver WHQL side or GPU VBIOS?
For a lot of AMD GPUs, it is a hardware (or GPU firmware) issue that it reported FLR support but does not (function level) reset properly and PCI-bus reset also does not work. It could be fixed by using (Linux, open source) driver parts (and a lot of effort of volunteers) and put into vendor-reset, as it's too much code (for a quirk fix) to go into the Linux kernel.
Some GPUs models from some manufacturers reset fine, while the same model from others does not and sometimes whole generations/sub-series do or do not.

I cannot comment on NVidia GPUs or drivers, as I have little experience with them (because of them breaking passthrough for consumer GPUs on purpose in the past) and I don't do this (deep level of) Linux kernel/driver development myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrnMrk
Hi!

Try the "suspend/resume" - sometimes works.

Code:
$> qm start <vmid>
$> qm suspend <vmid>
$> qm resume <vmid>

If you lucky, the GPU will work again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!