HELP! metadata too large for circular buffer

discontented

Jul 5, 2012
Hello all,

We have hit a snag on our production system :(

A user attempted to create a VM this AM but got presented with the error:

TASK ERROR: create failed - lvcreate 'vmsan_vg/pve-vm-380' error: VG vmsan_vg metadata too large for circular buffer

Any ideas on how this can be cleared?
I can provide any outputs of lvdisplay etc. required.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

OK so having done a bit of reading this morning, I think maybe, I can change the attributes of the Physical Volume using pvchange to ignore metadata. Any ideas if this would 'fix' the problem?

Won't allow me to make the change:

pvchange -a --metadataignore y
Cannot disable all metadata areas in volume group vmsan_vg.
Cannot disable all metadata areas in volume group pve.
0 physical volumes changed / 2 physical volumes not changed

Hi Dietmar,

Thanks for your response. I was looking at doing something similar but I need a bit of clarification please?

>Create a new PV with a much larger metadata area, add it to the VG,
>then stop using the too-small metadata areas on the old PVs.

>For extra resiliance it might be wise to add two PVs so you have twocopies of the metadata,
>or use the pvcreate option to have 2 metadatacopies on the single PV you're adding,
>one at the front and ane at the end.

>To remove the metadata areas you need to:

>get an up-to-date metadata backup (vgcfgbackup) pvcreate --restorefile pointing at a copy of that backup file requesting 0 metadata areas
>and specifying the same uuid as it had before vgcfgrestore from the backup file

Does this imply creating a new PV that will be used to replace the old one or does it imply building a PV that is used for metadata only (even possible?)? I think it's the latter but may be wrong. This is a live system with around 5Tb of data so I really don't want to get this wrong. My other option is to shrink my current PV, create a new, migrate some LVs over to the new PV and repeat until the original PV can be removed (ie it has no vms on) then re-partition. Ideas?I'm not a storage engineer as you may be able to tell.

Thanks in advance, Rob

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!