Help getting files off server

K

Kelly Matthews

Hopefully someone can help me. I have a linux box running proxmox. The ethernet card died today, I can't access the internet w/t he box at all. Unfortunately the box is crap so I can't put a new ethernet card in. Is there a way I can get my files and data off the server. BasicallyI had a vm web server thru proxmox that has some mysql databases as well as website files. Is there anyway to get these files if I can't access the internet and remote in, or FTP.

if you have no network you need to connect the hard drive in another server, then you have access to the files.

That's the problem, I don't currently have another server. So I'd have to buy one basically? Someone mentioned I Might be able to do it with the a flash drive. ?

If you hardware is not working you can´t fix it with software. Repair or replace the parts or go for a new one.

If you hardware is not working you can´t fix it with software. Repair or replace the parts or go for a new one.

As I stated the ethernet card can not be replaced. i have to get te data off the working harddrive.

Maybe you could buy a cheap USB-to-Ethernet converter and just run backups of your VMs, or just copy over your databases and critical data. It would be slow, but if you can find a USB-to-Ethernet converter that works with Debian, I'm guessing it would work.

Maybe you could buy a cheap USB-to-Ethernet converter and just run backups of your VMs, or just copy over your databases and critical data. It would be slow, but if you can find a USB-to-Ethernet converter that works with Debian, I'm guessing it would work.

Thanks everyone. Here is what I did in case this ever happens to you.

1. Burned Knoppix to a cd.
2. Bought a USB flash drive.
3. Booted from the CD
4. tried to mount the LVM drive, that was the hard part because they aren't mountable right out of the gate. I was getting this error - mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
5. Googled and found this awesome solution: http://pissedoffadmins.com/?p=481
6. Got my LVM mounted
7. Found my raw database files and website files
8. Copied them to the USB drive

That's it. I was able to recover all my sites and data. Thankfully my database files were mysam. INNODB is much harder to restore with no back up. Keep in mind this was not a production or client server, I do back up, these were personal sites, but still, lesson learned. Current back ups would have saved me 24 hours of frustration. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!