Hardware/Machine, q35, change to latest version

pille99

Sep 14, 2022
hello all

with the updates of proxmox the Machine settings change too.
currently its q35, version 7.2

can i change in a running VM ? Linux and Windows ?
what can be the side effects ?
thx all

I don't think you can change it on a running VM, you must shutdown or reboot it (but this can be easily tested). I've switched Windows 10 from 7.2 to 6.2 after installation and after a few reboots it worked fine. AMD Windows graphics drivers work on 6.2 but not 7.2 in my experience, maybe other drivers work better on other versions. Windows often does not handle (virtual) hardware changes very well, Linux usually has no problem. Make sure to have backups.
What have you tried? What are you worried about? Anything specific, otherwise I suggest searching the QEMU documentation for more detailed information.

I don't think you can change it on a running VM, you must shutdown or reboot it (but this can be easily tested). I've switched Windows 10 from 7.2 to 6.2 after installation and after a few reboots it worked fine. AMD Windows graphics drivers work on 6.2 but not 7.2 in my experience, maybe other drivers work better on other versions. Windows often does not handle (virtual) hardware changes very well, Linux usually has no problem. Make sure to have backups.
What have you tried? What are you worried about? Anything specific, otherwise I suggest searching the QEMU documentation for more detailed information.

I was also wondering if changing from 7.1 to 7.2 would effect activation on Windows servers. Guess Ill take a snapshot and try...

i dont want to play around on prod servers. better ask one more time to much as having big trouble with restore.
the version gets updates pretty regularly and i need to plan the updates, because of the reboot.
i changed it on some VMs (Windows) and it worked without problems.
another question: Sometimes its written "latest" instead of the version. does it mean it take automatically the latest version ?

I was also wondering if changing from 7.1 to 7.2 would effect activation on Windows servers. Guess Ill take a snapshot and try...
Switching versions can result in side effects on software activations. I had some problems on Windows 2022 TS with SolidWorks and em Client (both needed reactivations) after switching from 7.1 to 7.2.

Reactions: davemcl

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!