HA in storage / HA in PROXMOX.

freebee

May 8, 2020
Good morning everybody.
I planned the following scenario and would like to know if anyone here has set up something similar or if something in the services has any limitations.
I will have two OmniOS servers, with ZFS and using COMSTAR for iscsi.
The two storage servers have several Intel x520-da2 cards in a type of bridge to guarantee only one IP address on all of them.
The proxmox cluster, made up of 4 to 8 servers, have their own x520-da2 cards (2 cards each for each different storage server) and are directly connected to the two storages (here I try to avoid switch equipment in the way for less chance of hardware failure) .
In the PROXMOX cluster, the two LUNS are configured as disks for use by ZFS in raid1.

Is this scenario possible in PROXMOX?
Has anyone here already set up using this technology or others following this scenario?
Somebody have some case using COMSTAR with PROXMOX ?

Goals:
High-availability storage facilitating maintenance that involves shutting down storage.
Lowest possible latency within the network.
Stability.

Best regards.

That's something not directly related to Proxmox.

I suppose this may work, ie you can "zpool create hapool mirror iscsi-LUN1 iscsi-LUN2" from each of the two storages.
But in the real world I would highly recommend avoiding such setup. ZFS is a filesystem designed to be used as a local storage and best of all with direct access to the disks. Probably such setup will cause you more headache although it may look like a true HA storage unit.

Forgot to add - each of your Proxmox cluster nodes will needs it's own iscsi luns on each of the storage servers. So this limitation won't let you use same filesystem (exported via iSCSI) on all cluster nodes - you will end up with 4-8 different filesystems on each of your cluster node and this fact gets you cut off HA features available in Proxmox.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!