HA cluster with two node and qDevice + CEPH: don't work HA: why?

cybermod

Sep 21, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm here because I think I'm missing something important.I have read and watched many guides and videos, but I can't get the HA to work when I "kill" one of the two nodes.The quorum remains respected, I set the number of replies to the minimum. Yet I get an error that I can't interpret.Maybe I'm just getting the basics wrong?Thank you

Yet I get an error that I can't interpret
Letting us know what error that is would be helpful.

How many Ceph MONs do you have? Because Ceph needs to also have Quorum on the MONs (similar to PVE), you need a majority of MONs present. In a 2-node cluster.... One of the reasons why Ceph is only useful once you have at least 3 full nodes!

dear, tnx for your reply!
my configurations is:
2 node + qDevice on Ubuntu Server 22.04.
I have two monitor.....
So.... i can't use CEPH for HA because i have not 3 full node but only 2 full node + 1 qDevice....
i'm confused....
what is the point of having qdevice?
Can i have HA on 2 nodes?
maybe...i need a shared external storage (like nas) and like vmware.

TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 100 -name 'ubusrvHAlabtest,debug-threads=on' -no-shutdown -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.qmp,server=on,wait=off' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -chardev 'socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5' -mon 'chardev=qmp-event,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=f0349f09-e1c4-47ef-a938-5c15b2464175' -smp '4,sockets=1,cores=4,maxcpus=4' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vnc 'unix:/var/run/qemu-server/100.vnc,password=on' -cpu qemu64,+aes,enforce,+kvm_pv_eoi,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+pni,+popcnt,+sse4.1,+sse4.2,+ssse3 -m 2048 -object 'iothread,id=iothread-virtioscsi0' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.3,chassis_nr=3,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5' -device 'vmgenid,guid=39c0cf2e-d3c2-413a-84f4-cfee196311df' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'VGA,id=vga,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2' -chardev 'socket,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.qga,server=on,wait=off,id=qga0' -device 'virtio-serial,id=qga0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8' -device 'virtserialport,chardev=qga0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3,free-page-reporting=on' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:8cdf10601a72' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=io_uring' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=101' -device 'virtio-scsi-pci,id=virtioscsi0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x1,iothread=iothread-virtioscsi0' -drive 'file=rbd:ceph01/vm-100-disk-0:conf=/etc/pve/ceph.conf:id=admin:keyring=/etc/pve/priv/ceph/ceph01.keyring,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=raw,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'scsi-hd,bus=virtioscsi0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap100i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=BC:24:11:9C:33:41,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,rx_queue_size=1024,tx_queue_size=256,bootindex=102' -machine 'type=pc+pve0'' failed: got timeout

Last edited:
You need a quorum for the PVE cluster, this where you can use a qdevice.
Ceph needs a separate, its own quorum. The Ceph monitors are the voters in this case.

So currently you've got a quorate PVE cluster (2/3), but Ceph is without quorum (1/2).

Reactions: cybermod
Can i have HA on 2 nodes?
sure, but not with Ceph. Either use a network share, or alternatively local ZFS + the guest replication feature. The downside of the ZFS + Replication approach is, that it is async. In a worst case scenario, you might lose some data (since the last successful replication). Though it is possible to run the replication as short as each minute.

Reactions: cybermod
sure, but not with Ceph. Either use a network share, or alternatively local ZFS + the guest replication feature. The downside of the ZFS + Replication approach is, that it is async. In a worst case scenario, you might lose some data (since the last successful replication). Though it is possible to run the replication as short as each minute.
tnx, i tried it and now i feel myselfe moore confidence.
tnx for your clarify me
really appreciate

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!