H12SSL-i unable to install Proxmox

BeastBurst

Aug 29, 2023
I am trying to install latest Proxmox on my system with defaulted BIOS settings:

MB: Supermicro H12SSL-i
CPU: AMD Epyc 7742
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090
RAM: 512GB DDR4 RDIMM ECC

When I try to install the proxmox it always hangs on Loading initial ramdisk.. and the whole system freezes.

We already did a test of the ram for 12 hours and it passed without issues.

Any idea what can be causing this issue ?

Last edited:
Are you installing via IPMI or USB/Disk? If IPMI, try to install via local media (had an odd issue like this on 7 with a board)

I am installing with USB and it just freezes the whole system at "Loading initial ramdisk.." and I am wondering what can be the cause of this issues.

Any idea how can I resolve it ?

I have installed PVE on many Server with the same Board, but without dedicated GPU. Can you remove the RTX3090 during install?

Sir I was unable to run the integrated GPU.
How did you used it?

Also why you think "Loading initial ramdisk.." can be related to the GPU ?

Sir I was unable to run the integrated GPU.
How did you used it?
i have used the IPMI Remote Console
Also why you think "Loading initial ramdisk.." can be related to the GPU ?
"Loading initial ramdisk..." is unfortunately somewhat unspecific and can have many causes.
Since the board and the CPU usually do not cause any problems, one takes the most conspicuous component first when testing.
Try it possibly first with a BIOS reset (loading defaults).

i have used the IPMI Remote Console

"Loading initial ramdisk..." is unfortunately somewhat unspecific and can have many causes.
Since the board and the CPU usually do not cause any problems, one takes the most conspicuous component first when testing.
Try it possibly first with a BIOS reset (loading defaults).
Already tried out with loading defaults. Did not helped at all. Also looks like my motherboard does not to obtain an IP for the IPMI so basically I can't use IPMI.

If the network cable is plugged in for IPMI, it should get an IP from DHCP.
However, you can also give the IPMI a static IP via the BIOS.
Tried both cases and none seems to work. In the BIOS on the IPMI sections under IPMI Revision it says unknown. On your motherboards do you have a specific greenlight that indicates that the IPMI is enabled ?

Maybe you've set some jumpers?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!