H.A

May 17, 2018
Hello,
Speaking of H.A, I have 4 clustered hosts with two FC storages where my VMs are mapped and configured in H.A, the question is: If I lose communication with a storage, will H.A migrate to another host the VMs? or only if I lose host communication?

I have a slightly different setup, 3 nodes in H-A with CEPH storage on a dedicated network interface. I have implemented a small daemon (in C) checking that the two other nodes are reachable via the CEPH network interface. If none of them are available the node is shutted down and H-A automaticaly restart the VM on the other nodes. This solves communication failure with my storage in H-A context.
I can share this code.

Patrick

I have a slightly different setup, 3 nodes in H-A with CEPH storage on a dedicated network interface. I have implemented a small daemon (in C) checking that the two other nodes are reachable via the CEPH network interface. If none of them are available the node is shutted down and H-A automaticaly restart the VM on the other nodes. This solves communication failure with my storage in H-A context.
I can share this code.

Patrick

Hello Patrick,
Our scenarios are different, could this code be modified to monitor another resource?

Rangel.

Hello Patrick,
Our scenarios are different, could this code be modified to monitor another resource?

Rangel.

Yes, of course. I'm just using the ping command on a list of IP adresses to check the connectivity. You can modify the source to use whatever you need.
May be I could attach a zip file in a next post (it is quite small) ?

Patrick

Yes, of course. I'm just using the ping command on a list of IP adresses to check the connectivity. You can modify the source to use whatever you need.
May be I could attach a zip file in a next post (it is quite small) ?

Patrick
Hello Patrick,
Could you forward me by email?

Rangel.

You do not need to reinvent the wheel ;) You can do this and even more using monit!

You do not need to reinvent the wheel ;) You can do this and even more using monit!

Sometime I like to use applications not tailored to do everything but just what I need.;)
Not using an office suite to write a phone number in a text file
Not using a google search when I know the URL...
This is only 200 C code lines (comments included) !

Patrick

Sometime I like to use applications not tailored to do everything but just what I need.;)
Not using an office suite to write a phone number in a text file
Not using a google search when I know the URL...
This is only 200 C code lines (comments included) !

... ok, now your app do exact what you need, but maybe in day, you will need more(for example you will decide to use another tool insted ceph). After this day you will need to write another tool, or to modify/add new code(and you know that is not so simple to write new code). In this days, changes are very often, and you need to adjust your setup very fast. After some years, and many hours of coding you will realize that you waste your time. I write this from my own experiences, using many bash scripts for many years .... . But in a day I realize that is much better to use specialized tools like monit!
How would be for many guys, if you will spent your talent and time to write code for a project like Proxmox, ... I just joking ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!