[SOLVED] GUI not loading! D:

burger1113

Jun 16, 2023
**Solved: The modem having the machine connect straight into it was messing with the IP assignment. I just put an old router in between to avoid it and the security issue that @BobhWasatch kindly shared with me. Thanks for the help, everyone!

I am trying to set up a proxmox high sierra VM, and it seems I've gotten stuck.
First, proxmox was working and I had access to the GUI, but after a reboot, I get the message in this picture and cannot connect!
Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 7.30.46.png
Before I was locked out like this, I was going through the opencore setup and had the macOS boot.efi to run, but it was not going to the install page and instead booting back to proxmox boot selection menu. I thought I really had it for the minute there, but this is such a letdown :(
Thanks for you time, and I hope you have a great day!

Last edited:
I tried it as soon as I got home, and I get the following. No output, even when I tried to type the first part before the pipe separately...
Sorry if my lack of computer knowledge is cringe! Just a broke musician trying to get something I could replace my old rig with.
Maybe the fact that the host is connected to the internet provider's modem in the house without going through a router...?

IMG_4005.jpeg

I tried it as soon as I got home, and I get the following. No output, even when I tried to type the first part before the pipe separately...
Sorry if my lack of computer knowledge is cringe! Just a broke musician trying to get something I could replace my old rig with.
Maybe the fact that the host is connected to the internet provider's modem in the house without going through a router...?

View attachment 51711

Try replacing PVE-IP with the IP address of your Proxmox server.

What this tells you is that the service is running and accessible locally, directly from PVE.
What this points to - is a network issue outside of the PVE setup.

Can you describe your network? Is this running at home? In the cloud? In corporate setup? Are you sure your IP assignments are correct? Is your client (where the browser is running) also on Public IP network?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

What this tells you is that the service is running and accessible locally, directly from PVE.
What this points to - is a network issue outside of the PVE setup.

Can you describe your network? Is this running at home? In the cloud? In corporate setup? Are you sure your IP assignments are correct? Is your client (where the browser is running) also on Public IP network?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
The rig is at home with residential network. I have an internet modem set up by the front door, and the rig connects directly to it through a wall socket. Sorry but I'm not too sure what IP setup I should do, since I followed the directions from a youtube video. I'm going to try and look into that!
I Appreciate your time very much.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if your consumer ISP wants you to assign a public IP to your home devices.
Do a bit more research into how your router/modem is setup, whether it allocates private IPs via DHCP (look at existing devices) and what you can use for PVE host.
good luck

I'd be surprised if your consumer ISP wants you to assign a public IP to your home devices.
Do a bit more research into how your router/modem is setup, whether it allocates private IPs via DHCP (look at existing devices) and what you can use for PVE host.
good luck

I put a router to the wall outlet to go through it and got the GUI to load. obviously not the long term solution, so I'm not too sure how I'll go about making the direct connection to the modem work.

Unless you have some kind of business account your ISP probably only gives you one IP. So when you set up a network and give the various machines private IP they are not on the same logical network as your Proxmox. Hence you can't connect. There are ways to make that work by giving interfaces multiple IPs but you don't really want to do that.

You really do not want your whole machine exposed to the public internet unless you like getting hacked. Much better to put it behind a router and only forward the ports you want to expose. Look up "port forwarding" or "dmz" in your router manual. Note that your ISP may have blocked some ports on their side so that may be an issue too (e.g. ports 80 and 443 are often blocked inbound and 25 both in and out).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!