[SOLVED] GUI Inaccessible

zayspringer

Jul 27, 2022
Hi All,

I am EXTREMELY new to this, & am attempting to use Proxmox to run Home Assistant on an old PC. I followed all the steps & successfully downloaded Proxmox to my PC. I’ve gotten to the login screen telling me to input the HTTPS link into my web browser but am not able to access the Web GUI. I’ve attempted from 2 different PCs on both Chrome & Edge, as well as on Safari on iOS, all to no avail.

“This site can’t be reached. MyIP took to long to respond” is the error message on chrome.

I’m a bit beyond my depth here but any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I’ve read all other threads on this topic & was unable to find a solution that worked for me.

Let me guess. Insrtead of a free IP of your routers subnet outside of the DHCP-Range you used the default 192.168.100.2 as the IP for proxmox, which isn't part of your routers subnet, so it can't be reached? Or you forgot to also type in the ":8006" at the end of the URL? Or you typed in "http:" instead of "https:"?
Its usually on of these three if the webUI isn't accessible after a successful new installation.

Last edited:
If your router (and other computers in your home network) are not in 192.168.100.0/24 (i.e., don't have IP addresses that start with 192.168.100.), you cannot connect to it (via the default routing).

Please connect a keyboard and display to the Proxmox host. Login to the console and edit the IP address in /etc/network/interfaces (using the nano editor for example) to one that is inside (and unused by anything else) your local network. Reboot the Proxmox host and then try to connect to the new IP address.

Can you check your router to see what address range it uses for DHCP? What is the IP address of another computer on your local network (which can help to guess)?

The Proxmox install will usually use the IP address it gets from the router via DHCP, when connected to the network during installation. This address will work, but can later fail because another device might get that IP address, as Proxmox does not use DHCP once installed.

If your router (and other computers in your home network) are not in 192.168.100.0/24 (i.e., don't have IP addresses that start with 192.168.100.), you cannot connect to it (via the default routing).

Please connect a keyboard and display to the Proxmox host. Login to the console and edit the IP address in /etc/network/interfaces (using the nano editor for example) to one that is inside (and unused by anything else) your local network. Reboot the Proxmox host and then try to connect to the new IP address.

Can you check your router to see what address range it uses for DHCP? What is the IP address of another computer on your local network (which can help to guess)?

The Proxmox install will usually use the IP address it gets from the router via DHCP, when connected to the network during installation. This address will work, but can later fail because another device might get that IP address, as Proxmox does not use DHCP once installed.
The range on my router is 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.254. How do I know what IP is unused? I’ve attached a picture of what the default settings were that don’t seem to be working for me. Any advice on the IP/Gateway/DNS?

This is day 1 for me so don’t hesitate to explain it to me like I’m a child, it may actually help lol.

Attachments

• FCA4AAF1-8B2D-426B-A0B9-4117817BF706.jpeg
    FCA4AAF1-8B2D-426B-A0B9-4117817BF706.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 311
Let me guess. Insrtead of a free IP of your routers subnet outside of the DHCP-Range you used the default 192.168.100.2 as the IP for proxmox, which isn't part of your routers subnet, so it can't be reached? Or you forgot to also type in the ":8006" at the end of the URL? Or you typed in "http:" instead of "https:"?
Its usually on of these three if the webUI isn't accessible after a successful new installation.
I did use the default IP as the video I used to walk me through the install did not mention otherwise.

Other than that, I definitely added “:8006” as well as “https://“ instead of “http://“.

Undoubtedly a stupid question, but how do I know what IP address I am able to use?

I really appreciate the help.

Looks like 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.254 is used for DHCP, which you don't want to use for fixed IP's. 192.168.2.255 and higher cannot be used. 192.168.2.1 is probably the router. Unless you gave other devices a static IP (outside the DHCP range, so lower than .10) you can chose between 192.168.2.2 up to and including 192.168.2.9.

The gateway is your router; it's the gateway to other (external) IP addresses on the internet. Probably your router also functions as a DNS server. Or check what DNS server and/or gateway your other computers are using (probably the router's IP address for both) in their network settings somewhere.

Reactions: zayspringer
Looks like 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.254 is used for DHCP, which you don't want to use for fixed IP's. 192.168.2.255 and higher cannot be used. 192.168.2.1 is probably the router. Unless you gave other devices a static IP (outside the DHCP range, so lower than .10) you can chose between 192.168.2.2 up to and including 192.168.2.9.

The gateway is your router; it's the gateway to other (external) IP addresses on the internet. Probably your router also functions as a DNS server. Or check what DNS server and/or gateway your other computers are using (probably the router's IP address for both) in their network settings somewhere.
Okay, I think I’m following.

You were correct about my router IP being 192.168.2.1.

So, I changed the IP Address to 192.168.2.9 & made the Gateway match the router IP (192.168.2.1).

For DNS I see a Primary & Secondary DNS on my router info page. Does it matter which I use? (See 1st screenshot)6772E6EE-7C05-4B9F-8F4B-1270D68FB34F.jpeg

So, I changed the IP Address to 192.168.2.9 & made the Gateway match the router IP (192.168.2.1).
Sounds good.
For DNS I see a Primary & Secondary DNS on my router info page. Does it matter which I use? (See 1st screenshot)
Pick one, or you can use a public one, as long as it is reachable and working its fine. Later you can even edit it to multiple DNS servers in the Proxmox web GUI.

Sounds good.

Pick one, or you can use a public one, as long as it is reachable and working its fine. Later you can even edit it to multiple DNS servers in the Proxmox web GUI.
Okay this is what I’ve got. 5F4DF3AD-98BB-4CD5-BC25-1B131BD4801A.jpegAm I OK to proceed?
Is there any port forwarding or anything else I need to do on my end before proceeding?

Sadly no luck.

First screenshot shows the browser when attempting to connect & the 2nd is just a summary of the settings.

Attachments

• 5389F661-7452-45D0-86EB-DEB4584895BF.jpeg
    5389F661-7452-45D0-86EB-DEB4584895BF.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 38792852-197F-4DC6-BB2F-473535913673.jpeg
    38792852-197F-4DC6-BB2F-473535913673.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 115
Does your Windows browser allow self-signed certificates? Can you login to the Proxmox host console (keyboard + monitor) as user root? What is the outputs of ip r, ip a and cat /etc/network/interfaces?

Last edited:
I have no idea how to access any of that. I attempted to ping the server & this is what I got back C84950AC-098D-473F-AB65-A69E025DF067.jpeg

I’m starting to think I’ve made a huge mistake attempting this…

Can you sit down behind (or in front, depending on the language of your country) the display and keyboard of the Proxmox host, where you just installed Proxmox? What does it show? I expect a black and white screen with a login prompt. The user is named root and the password is what you chose in the installer (and it does not show on the screen). This is the Proxmox host console. After login your can enter Linux commands like the ones I mentioned before.

Can you sit down behind (or in front, depending on the language of your country) the display and keyboard of the Proxmox host, where you just installed Proxmox? What does it show? I expect a black and white screen with a login prompt. The user is named root and the password is what you chose in the installer (and it does not show on the screen). This is the Proxmox host console. After login your can enter Linux commands like the ones I mentioned before.
Okay, so I was able to input the ip r & ip a code.A75B9FBB-003C-4768-8BE7-2CB2D2C11374.jpeg

I’m not getting anything when I type in “cat” & “/etc/network/interfaces” returns with Permission Denied
2D2B7504-AC9F-4E7E-A7AC-B32EB4C90D06.jpeg
543FD7E9-36E1-4BD3-94E2-F5E5C942ECFE.jpeg

Don't type cat press the Enter key and then write /etc/network/interface, write cat /etc/network/interfaces and then press the Enter key. It's a space in between not an Enter.

The NO-CARRIER is the issue here. It means the cable is broken or the network port is broken or they can't negotiate a common speed and wire layout. Can you try another cable between the machine and the router? That also explains why the installer does not give you default IP within the DHCP range, the router as Gateway and a DNS server: there is no proper network connection between this machine and the router.

PS: By the way, can't you sit or stand strait in front of the monitor when taking pictures? it's really hard to read and I can't zoom in. I assume you are trying your best, but please!?

Don't type cat press the Enter key and then write /etc/network/interface, write cat /etc/network/interfaces and then press the Enter key. It's a space in between not an Enter.

The NO-CARRIER is the issue here. It means the cable is broken or the network port is broken or they can't negotiate a common speed and wire layout. Can you try another cable between the machine and the router? That also explains why the installer does not give you default IP within the DHCP range, the router as Gateway and a DNS server: there is no proper network connection between this machine and the router.

PS: By the way, can't you sit or stand strait in front of the monitor when taking pictures? it's really hard to read and I can't zoom in. I assume you are trying your best, but please!?
Okay here is the cat /etc/network/interfaces output 93CDB0EC-D4A2-48D0-9404-DF7006ED3218.jpeg

As for the network issues, the machine I’m using is currently on Wi-Fi so I’m not sure what the best course of action to remedy the situation would be, but I’m open to any/all suggestions.

(I hope that picture is clearer)

The problem is the cable/connection between your PVE host and the router, not your wifi connection of the machine you try to access the webUI with.
Config looks fine.
So try another ethernet cable and port at the router. If that doesn't work you could also try to boot into another kernel in ase there are problems with the NIC drivers.

Last edited:
Okay here is the cat /etc/network/interfaces output
Nevermind, we don't need it anymore. I appreciate the readable from the front picture though.
As for the network issues, the machine I’m using is currently on Wi-Fi so I’m not sure what the best course of action to remedy the situation would be, but I’m open to any/all suggestions.
Proxmox, being an enterprise server oriented hypervisor, does not support WiFi because WiFi devices typically don't support bridges. Please connect the machine to your router with a network cable. If you really insist on using WiFi, please search the forum.

Nevermind, we don't need it anymore. I appreciate the readable from the front picture though.

Proxmox, being an enterprise server oriented hypervisor, does not support WiFi because WiFi devices typically don't support bridges. Please connect the machine to your router with a network cable. If you really insist on using WiFi, please search the forum.
Okay, I’ll get the Proxmox device hardwired ASAP & get back to you.

Thank you for getting me to this point.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!