GUI fixes and changes removed after update

GHvM

Apr 14, 2023
Hello,

Whenever I update Proxmox, all the fixes and other changes in the GUI have been overwritten.
How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

Regards,
G.

What exactly do you mean by "fixes" and "changes" ?
Because a lot of webgui stuff is internet browser related (cookies, layout).

I mean the code for the GUI, both the backend (Perl) and the frontend (HTML/CSS/JS).
There are quite a few things that are wrong, and I fixed them.
Now every time I install updates, my fixes are overwritten.
My question is, how do I prevent that?

Hi,

your local changes will most like be overwritten by package updates, are you directly applying them or are you building the packages yourself?
I am directly applying them (by copying the changed files right into the right locations), rebuilding the packages kind of defeats the purpose of a package manager that manages everything, right?
You're welcome to submit those patches! The process is documented here [1].

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation
My patches have previously been rejected (submitted through someone else), so I abandoned that.
The changes include better layout (more compact) and addition of information at certain points (when that information is available), like the temperatures in the system summary.

Just make it prompt whether or not to overwrite those files, since they are not part of the core functionality, only a way to manage that.
That should not be too hard to implement? I've never had any problems with such things.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!