Grub error on reboot and pool status question

rufusz

May 16, 2021
Hi,

Suddenly an HP server with Proxmox fails to start, boots to grub rescue> with an error message about no such device <id> and unknown filesystem. Booted using systemrescue zfs and zpool status shows this:

Code:
pool: rppol
state: ONLINE

config:
   NAME
       rpool  ONLINE
          mirror-0  ONLINE
             ata-WDC_.....607-part2 ONLINE
             spare-1
                 ata-WDC_......9C5-part2 ONLINE
                 ata-WDC_......53X-part2 ONLINE
         spares
              ata-WDC_.....53X-part2 ONLINE

erros: No known data errors

What are the spare-1's? Apparently mirror 0 is broken? I have an old screenshot and there ata-WDC_....9C5-part2 was part of mirror 0. Can this be a problem?

I've tried installing grub or update-grub2 commands and I get an error "failed to get canonical path of '/dev/spare-1'"

Checked these threads:
- https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/grub-error-on-reboot-device-not-found.38616
- https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/grub-rescue-error-checksum-verification-failed.52730

Thanks

Last edited:
Its a spare disk. I don't know why everything is saying online but but I think what you are looking at is:
  • ata-WDC_.....53X-part2 was added to the pool as spare disk
  • ata-WDC_......9C5-part2 died on you
  • ata-WDC_.....53X-part2 took over as replacement
did you get the result from a life stick? Did you chroot?

In the end what worked is:
- detach ata-WDC_......9C5-part2 from rpool
- attach it back to rpool
- chroot
- reinstall grub on all sda/sdb/sdc drives

In the end everything is healthy, so I do not know why 9C5 died/was moved to spare. All I know that it happened after a brief power interruption and the server doesn't have an UPS :(

I am not sure what you mean with sdc drive. The spare goes back to the spares and will wait there again (usually shared about multiple pools) to replace a faulty device.

Unplugging, eventually format, re plugging ata-WDC_......9C5-part2 and then zpool replace rpool ata-WDC_......9C5-part2 <New Disk> should do the trick.

Also check smartctl on that disk to be sure its not faulty

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!