[SOLVED] GPU Passthrough while preserving console

BiTRiP

Apr 13, 2020
Hi,

I have a server running using onboard Intel GPU for bios etc.
Also, I have a GTX750 pci-e card inserted that should ONLY be used by one VM and totally separated from host.

I have the card working in the VM using the pci-e GPU with the following line in grub loader:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off

Problem now is that the console on the monitor that is connected to the internal GPU blacks out after loading proxmox. How can I preserve console so that the pci-e is totally bypassed and only used in VM?

Hope you can help.

Last edited:
Make sure to boot from the onboard integrated graphics. Sometimes the BIOS needs a monitor plugged in to the onboard graphics to make this work.

Don't use nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off to disable all display output but bind your GPU to vfio-pci (so nothing touches it) using vfio_pci.ids=xxxx:yyyy,aaaa:bbbb where xxxx:yyyy and aaaa:bbbb can be found for your GPU with lspci -ns XX:YY where XX:YY.0 is the PCI ID of your GTX 750 and XX:YY.1 is the PCI ID of the audio device of that GPU.

Or do the binding to vfio_pci in /etc/modprobe.d, which might require a softdep to make vfio-pci load before nouveau. Or maybe just blacklist nouveau and snd_hda_intel to prevent those drivers from touching the GTX 750. Or maybe the GTX 750 works regardless, just don't disable all video output as you are doing now.

Reactions: BiTRiP

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!