GPU passthrough after lxc is created

generalproxuser

Mar 14, 2021
I have a poweredge r420 with proxmox7 and everything is running smoothly/great...except for one thing.

My emby server will transcode files when it detects that it is needed. The problem is the dual Xeon E5-2430 v2 processors are not up to the task. I even tried bumping it up to 8 cores. I researched it and it seems it comes down to these processors not having/supporting intel quicksync.

So now I am looking at adding a gpu to the server via an e-gpu setup. Will I be able to do gpu passthrough to my emby lxc even after the lxc has been created, configured and running the way I want it to? I believe the r420 has a pci-e x16 slot but since it is running right now and is currently hosting my network router I didn't want to bring it down unnecessarily.

If others have experience with this server, emby and gpu passthrough your experiences is greatly appreciated too.

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!