Going from 1.7 to 2.2

jarcher

Mar 15, 2009
Hi All...

I used vzdump on Proxmox VE 1.7 to save a container. I then used scp to move that backup tar file to a server running Proxmox 2.2 and I used vzrestore to restore that backup file. The container appeared in list and I started it. I noticed some issues. First, I can not get a console to work correctly. Opening a console results in just a black square, until I click shutdown and then I see the text as the machine shuts down.

But the shutdown never seems to complete. When the machine is running, I can not ping it or get it to answer web requests.

Is there something special I need to do if coming from 1.7? I see other people have done this (the recommended method) from 1.9, but have not found any threads coming from an earlier version.

Thanks...

Thanks very much. After restoring the archive using vzrestore, the private area is created and populated. But the root area, although created, is empty. I checked the log from the vzdump session, and it never mentioned saving the root area, just the private area. I checked the options for vzdump, and there does not seem to be an option to force it to save the root area.

That is expected behavior - root is only a mount point to re-mount 'private' on startup.

Okay thanks again. But the wiki link you pointed me to directed me to modify the inittab under root/5006/etc/ but of course there is no file there. I tried modifying the inittab in the private/5006/etc/ folder but this didn't resolve the issue at all.

Okay thanks again. But the wiki link you pointed me to directed me to modify the inittab under root/5006/etc/ but of course there is no file there. I tried modifying the inittab in the private/5006/etc/ folder but this didn't resolve the issue at all.

But the console is really not my big problem. You just reminded me that I can enter the container from the host machine. It seems to be running okay except that it can not ping anything. If I try to ping its own address, I get network unreachable. I think if I can solve this problem, I'll be in good shape. Did I do anything by migrating this container that should cause the network to stop working? I did shut down the original container.

Thanks again...

But the console is really not my big problem. You just reminded me that I can enter the container from the host machine. It seems to be running okay except that it can not ping anything. If I try to ping its own address, I get network unreachable. I think if I can solve this problem, I'll be in good shape. Did I do anything by migrating this container that should cause the network to stop working? I did shut down the original container.

Thanks again...

Hi,
how looks the network inside the container?
Code:
ifconfig -a
# for debian based container:
cat /etc/network/interfaces
Compare the NETIF-section of the CT config with an new created (and running) one.

Udo

Hi Udo, yes I did that. These appear to be identical, except for the IP address. The one at 72.46.65.253 works, and was generated from a template on the Proxmox 2.2 server. The one at 72.46.65.64 was backed up on the 1.7 server using vzdump, copied to the 2.2 server, restored with vzrestore. Trying to connect to the network gives me:

Code:
root@proxmox22:~# vzctl enter 5006
entered into CT 5006
www:/# ping 72.46.65.43
connect: Network is unreachable
www:/#

Code:
# Auto generated lo interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Auto generated venet0 interface
auto venet0
iface venet0 inet manual
        up ifconfig venet0 up
        up ifconfig venet0 127.0.0.2
        up route add default dev venet0
        down route del default dev venet0
        down ifconfig venet0 down

iface venet0 inet6 manual
        up route -A inet6 add default dev venet0
        down route -A inet6 del default dev venet0

auto venet0:0
iface venet0:0 inet static
        address 72.46.65.64
        netmask 255.255.255.255

Code:
# Auto generated lo interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# Auto generated venet0 interface
auto venet0
iface venet0 inet manual
        up ifconfig venet0 up
        up ifconfig venet0 127.0.0.2
        up route add default dev venet0
        down route del default dev venet0
        down ifconfig venet0 down
iface venet0 inet6 manual
        up route -A inet6 add default dev venet0
        down route -A inet6 del default dev venet0
auto venet0:0
iface venet0:0 inet static
        address 72.46.65.253
        netmask 255.255.255.255

Last edited:
Hi Udo, yes I did that. These appear to be identical, except for the IP address. The one at 72.46.65.253 works, and was generated from a template on the Proxmox 2.2 server. The one at 72.46.65.64 was backed up on the 1.7 server using vzdump, copied to the 2.2 server, restored with vzrestore.
Hi,
perhaps something at the hoster config? (mac-address)

Sorry, don't have experiences with venet-configs (use only bridged networks).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!