Get old directories mounted in new installation

nicedevil

Aug 5, 2021
Hey there,

my SSD for my PVE got crashed this way that the controller of the SSD says "good bye" every 10-15h (by random).
I already bought a new SSD and installed a fresh PVE on it.
The other HDD/SSDs that are connected to this PC are still fine and should be used again.

My plan is/was to just do a backup of the VM's I got (already done). These backups are stored on a seperate SSD that is not the SSD used for PVE OS itself.
In my new environment I just want to add this storage of this SSD. If I try to create a new storage it says "no unused disks" what is absolutly correct.
So I hope there is a small solution to just add my old storage drives back to the environment without having to wipe them?

hi,

depends on what filesystem you used on the drive, but if you used something like plain ext4 then you can just mount the drive manually on the host and copy the backups over.

if you used a different storage type, you might be able to just add the corresponding config lines from old /etc/pve/storage.cfg into the new one, and it should just work

Reactions: nicedevil
hi,

if you used a different storage type, you might be able to just add the corresponding config lines from old /etc/pve/storage.cfg into the new one, and it should just work

First I thought I just have to add the old drives in the /etc/fstab and get it mounted there. But then I took a look at the fstab file from my old deployment and there wasn't any entry belonging to this drives. That was the point where I thought the proxmox got this drive "mounted for the webUI" inside a config file. maybe it is this what you are talking to me right now?

I don't just want to copy it over, I want to have the SSDs back in the list of storages/directories in my proxmox webUI, don't know if I explained it correctly? :D

EDIT: I thought I give it a try and changed the content of the
Code:
storage.cfg
to this here:

Code:
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
        thinpool data
        vgname pve
        content rootdir,images

lvm: vms
        vgname vms
        content rootdir,images
        nodes pve
        shared 0

dir: iso
        path /mnt/pve/iso
        content rootdir,backup,images,iso,vztmpl,snippets
        is_mountpoint 1
        nodes pve

the last 2 mountpoints were added by myself now and it looks like this in PVE now:

1628149009994.png

With this warning on "iso", how can I fix this?

1628149026516.png

Last edited:
I don't just want to copy it over, I want to have the SSDs back in the list of storages/directories in my proxmox webUI, don't know if I explained it correctly?
you can just wipe the disk and add it again after copying your backups

First I thought I just have to add the old drives in the /etc/fstab and get it mounted there.
though you can also do that too, just to copy the backups over and then clean it, add it as a storage

That was the point where I thought the proxmox got this drive "mounted for the webUI" inside a config file. maybe it is this what you are talking to me right now?
yes, /etc/pve/storage.cfg -- if you can add the correct entry there'll be no need to wipe the drive

for example if you mount your disk (i assume ext4) onto a directory called /mnt/mydisk
then your storage config could have these lines:
Code:
dir: mybackups
        path /mnt/mydisk
        content iso,vztmpl,backup

and the disk should show up on the gui.

Here you can see my old setup (this with the damaged SSD), no /mnt/iso mount here but it is mounted correctly in the webui

1628150027548.png

So I guess it just needs an other entry for this WebUI entry right?
1628150101855.png

yes just find your disk with fdisk -l and mount the partition to wherever you like (e.g. /mnt/iso), and add the entry to storage.cfg -- it should show up after that

We figured out that proxmox is mounting those storagedirectories with a systemd file. That was done now and everything showed up as expected :)

But still, thank you very much for helping me out with the storage.cfg!

We figured out that proxmox is mounting those storagedirectories with a systemd file. That was done now and everything showed up as expected :)

But still, thank you very much for helping me out with the storage.cfg!
What did you change to get this working? I have a similar situation where I have a ZFS Pool from an old install that I added to a new installation. I can see the ZFS pool and the VZDUMP files in the console, but it doesn't show up in the GUI like it did on the old install....

It only lets me select "container/disk image" when adding the pool.

I just added it to the storage.cfg file as noted above...Oops

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!