[SOLVED] Full VM restart to apply HW changes but automatically

gouthamravee

May 16, 2019
Is there a way to restart the VM automatically such that VM hardware changes get applied?

I know there's a reset and reboot option, but both of these don't apply hardware changes.

I have a router running as a VM, what I would like is to fully reboot a VM 'automatically' when applying hardware changes.
The problem is I have VLANs and my primary desktop that I do most of my homelab work from is on a different VLAN than my proxmox server.

So when I shut off the router VM I have to move around some patch cables on my rack to get my primary workstation on the same VLAN as my proxmox servers so I can restart the router.

I know I could send the command to stop and start a vm through CLI, but I was wondering if there was a way to do this through the web GUI.

I know I could send the command to stop and start a vm through CLI, but I was wondering if there was a way to do this through the web GUI.
[remove wrong info from gui, leave the script if anyone needs it]

You have an easy way to do so from CLI, which is always more flexible than UI:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
set -euo pipefail

/usr/sbin/qm stop [id]
/usr/sbin/qm start [id]

nohup ./router_restart.sh &

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
but both of these don't apply hardware changes.
The reboot option in the GUI should do that. Shutdown the VM, apply HW changes and power it up again. Check the tooltip that appears if you hover over it for a bit.

The reboot option in the GUI should do that. Shutdown the VM, apply HW changes and power it up again. Check the tooltip that appears if you hover over it for a bit.
My understanding of the issue is that once OP shutsdown the VM, ie powers it down, he looses his network path to PVE to power it back up, because the VM is the router :)

I see what you meant Aaron!

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Reactions: aaron
D'oh!!

You're right, I'm not used to using that reboot option with my other VMs. Thank you!

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!