full-upgrade fails: tries to uninstall proxmox-ve

Aug 2, 2022
Hello Proxmox devs & Co,
i have a valid subscription, but am shamingly still using Proxmox v6.4, so I wanted to upgrade it. First full-upgrade, then to 7.x.

I ran into a problem after having accumulated a few updates on 6.x. Proxmox' apt-full-upgrade tells me that it wants to uninstall proxmox-ve:
After installing afew of the upgradable packages manually (and setting them to auto-installed afterwords again) it boils down to some packages that produce the error:
Code:
apt-get install python-six  # or python2-minimal, etc.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  bsdmainutils cpp-8 fdisk libbind9-161 libboost-atomic1.67.0 libboost-iostreams1.67.0 libboost-program-options1.67.0
  libboost-regex1.67.0 libboost-system1.67.0 libboost-thread1.67.0 libdns-export1104 libdns1104 libdns1110 libevent-2.1-6
  libgfortran5 libipset11 libirs161 libisc-export1100 libisc1100 libisc1105 libisccc161 libisccfg163 libisl19 libjs-sphinxdoc
  libjs-underscore libjson-c3 liblwres161 libnftables0 libprocps7 libprotobuf17 libpve-cluster-api-perl libpython3.7
  libpython3.7-minimal libpython3.7-stdlib proxmox-archive-keyring proxmox-mini-journalreader pve-kernel-5.4.162-1-pve
  pve-kernel-5.4.189-2-pve pve-kernel-helper pve-lxc-syscalld python3-asn1crypto python3.7 python3.7-minimal usb.ids
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  criu libpython-stdlib lxc-pve proxmox-ve pve-container pve-ha-manager pve-manager python python-cephfs python-certifi
  python-chardet python-configparser python-future python-idna python-ipaddr python-minimal python-prettytable python-protobuf
  python-rados python-rbd python-requests python-talloc python-urllib3 qemu-server
The following packages will be upgraded:
  python-six
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 24 to remove and 152 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/17.4 kB of archives.
After this operation, 27.0 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)       touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook

I found a few hints across the net, but all similar problems' solutions did not help here. Why does this happen?

Hm. I do not want to upgrade to v7 yet. I just want to upgrade my 6.4 to the newest packages. And the section there only says that linux-image-amd64 should be removed - but I don't have it installed (I did not install Debian and Proxmox on it. I installed a "genuine" proxmox from the proxmox install stick :)

I installed all packages now - it boils down to everything related to python and perl. all packages that have names like ...-perl or python-... refuse to get installed/want to deinstall proxmox-ve.

What's in your apt.sources? i.e. cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

Code:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib
deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib

# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org bullseye-security main contrib
deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-enterprise

Exactly :)
If you change the proxmox repo to bullseye as well, the update should work without issues.

Thanks, that was the problem. I can't get why I did this. But anyway, after updating the proxmox repo and doing a dist-upgrade && reboot, everything worked flawlessly.

Thank you for this awesome piece of software. Proxmox is really cool.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!