From Unraid to Proxmox for GPU passthrough?

compiz

Dec 29, 2022
Hello everybody!
I have a DeskMeet B660 with intel i3 13100 CPU, 32GB ram and an RX6600 GPU.
Right now I am using unraid and it works for making windows VM and passing through the GPU.
My only problem was that I had to turn ON CSM and disable rebar and so on to make it work, so my question is, with proxmox can I have CSM OFF and do hardware passthrough?
I am asking this because I am running windows vm with the GPU passthrough for some games but I also want to have a couple VM that are based on cloud image templates which I can't do with unraid.
And because I did a firmware update yesterday, I can't enable CSM in it now for unknown reasons (says to install GPU to pci-e to enable CSM and I have the RX6600)

Last edited:
Right now I am using unraid and it works for making windows VM and passing through the GPU.
My only problem was that I had to turn ON CSM and disable rebar and so on to make it work, so my question is, with proxmox can I have CSM OFF and do hardware passthrough?
KVM/QEMU virtualization used by Proxmox does not support Resizable BAR yet , and will probably never support it being fully resizable.
I can't comment on the CSM and you'll have to test it yourself, but I don't see why passthrough would not work with CSM disable (as it works for many people).
And because I did a firmware update yesterday, I can't enable CSM in it now for unknown reasons (says to install GPU to pci-e to enable CSM and I have the RX6600)
Sometimes manufacturers make new BIOS versions that are worse than older versions. Sometimes they break passthrough completely. Maybe go back to a known working version?

Thanks, I will try to install PVE with CSM disabled and try again the passthrough

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!