Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

yes, good idea. If you have a running windows KVM guest with a too small disk just poweroff and add a new disk (with the new bigger size). then boot a live CD (I know acronis) and copy with resize to the new disk. can you try this?

just did it successfully with clonezilla (winxp).

just did it successfully with clonezilla (winxp).

Hi Tom,

I have been trying this with clonezilla..but I keep getting a "disk read error" when booting up the new drive.

could you help me out with the settings?

1 Clone type
device-device
2 Image type
disk_to_local_disk
3 Choose Local Disk As Source
Select the source device.
4 Choose Local Disk As Target
Same thing for the target device.

I Keep default settings except for in advanced settings change to "-K1"
What am I missing?:confused:

ok I was able to boot after cloning my small drive to the bigger drive after booting from the winxp install cd and entering recovery mode and doing a

Code:
fixmbr
and 
fixboot

I have used this Clonezilla Live CD reference card which helped me.

Tom -- did you have to do this also and if not what settings did you use?

ok I was able to boot after cloning my small drive to the bigger drive after booting from the winxp install cd and entering recovery mode and doing a

Code:
fixmbr
and 
fixboot
I have used this Clonezilla Live CD reference card which helped me.

Tom -- did you have to do this also and if not what settings did you use?

I just used the wizard and answered the questions to my best knowledge.

I just used the wizard and answered the questions to my best knowledge.

yep did so also , but I am wondering if I missed something since I got the boot error and had to correct this.

What did you do different from the default settings? (I am using the most recent version of Clonezilla clonezilla-live-1.2.1-39.iso)

yep did so also , but I am wondering if I missed something since I got the boot error and had to correct this.

What did you do different from the default settings? (I am using the most recent version of Clonezilla clonezilla-live-1.2.1-39.iso)

can´t remember, I just booted the ISO and went through the wizard.

hello,

i have a server whit have Centos install, and i no have option for install your ISO, you have some form how i install promox in the Centos i have in the server now?

please let me know. because allot DC no offer External Installation of linux

Yes with clonezilla I could copy a little partition in a bigger one, using -r and after -k1 to use all the new space of the bigger partition.
Then in options I said to boot from ide0:1 instead of ide0:0.
unfortunately XP does not start :(. The qemu-Bios says that it cannot read the harddisk. Are there some clonezilla-flags I ignored?

they do also not support KVM, so sadly they are not suited for our project. maybe you should go for a stable 2.6.18 openvz based system and you need to adapt whatever you need for the gui.

I do not know you cost calculation but sooner or later it will come a point where buying new servers is cheaper than operating with stuff.

We are in a similar situation, though we only have three Proliant G3 units that we'd like to use, even for a few units. While a stable OpenVZ install would work, it does not offer the clustering and shared management options that Proxmox does.

Is there a maillinglist available through wich we can receive notices about updates etc?

Hi,

I would like more detail information about ProxMox VE 1.3 cluster mode.
Especially, I did not get if this mean that if a ProxMox server of the node die, does it mean that all VMs that was on this server are still available ??
Or do they die also ?

Thanks for any answer.

I would like more detail information about ProxMox VE 1.3 cluster mode.
Especially, I did not get if this mean that if a ProxMox server of the node die, does it mean that all VMs that was on this server are still available ??
Or do they die also ?

HA with corosync/pacemaker is on the roadmap.

Hello, how i can install 64 bit guest system ?

In the FAQ (Fully virtualized Machines (KVM)) written by Guest Type: select what you need (32 and 64 bit guests are possible)

but I do not see any of the 64 bit system for selecting

If I choose Guest type to windows 2008 (for example)
I have the error ... your processor is not compatible with 64-bit when try install the system.

CPU(s) 4 x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Version (package/version/build) pve-manager/1.3/4023
Kernel Version Linux 2.6.24-7-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 2 08:00:29 CEST 2009

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!