Forwarding Proxmox logs to Graylog

bsinha

May 5, 2022
Hi,

We want to forward proxmox logs to our graylog server. For example, whatever logs we see in the Tasks.
1658676483876.png

And whatever logs we get from the Cluster log:

1658676523224.png

Thanks in advanced.

The result for the tasks itself (if you double click) is stored in /var/log/pve/tasks and could be exported from there. In general, all things you see in both views is normal daemon.log.

Hi, This is the format we are getting from /var/log/pve/tasks.

1659686042709.png

How do we debug it?

These are the file names of the logs which are in the other folders in pve/tasks : )

How do we debug it?
Depends on what you want.

I got this in the tasks log 'Error: Failed to to run vncproxy.' on 2022-08-04 15:50:24 so lets see:

In general, all things you see in both views is normal daemon.log.

Code:
Aug  4 15:50:25 proxmox6 pvedaemon[4056356]: <lnxbil@local-ldap-replica> end task UPID:proxmox6:003FAFF3:6041BB0C:62EBCEA0:vncproxy:2999:lnxbil@local-ldap-replica: Failed to run vncproxy.

The result for the tasks itself (if you double click) is stored in /var/log/pve/tasks and could be exported from there.

Code:
root@proxmox6 ~ > find /var/log/pve/tasks -name '*UPID:proxmox6:003FAFF3:6041BB0C:62EBCEA0:vncproxy:2999:lnxbil@local-ldap-replica*'
/var/log/pve/tasks/0/UPID:proxmox6:003FAFF3:6041BB0C:62EBCEA0:vncproxy:2999:lnxbil@local-ldap-replica:

root@proxmox6 ~ > cat /var/log/pve/tasks/0/UPID:proxmox6:003FAFF3:6041BB0C:62EBCEA0:vncproxy:2999:lnxbil@local-ldap-replica:
VM 2999 not running
TASK ERROR: Failed to run vncproxy.

So, just a "simple" join over files.

Is there any way that we take the file names from /var/log/pve/tasks/ and join the content of that file and then transfer them to a log server? If we try to send the logs then the content of the file is getting transferred to the log server. However, the meaningful data is actually in the filename.

The log data could be something like this:

UPID:droxmox6:003FAFF3:6041BB0C:62EBCEA0:vncproxy:2999:lnxbil@local-ldap-replica:VM 2999 not running: TASK ERROR: Failed to run vncproxy

Sorry but have you read and tried to understood what I wrote?

The log data could be something like this:

UPID:droxmox6:003FAFF3:6041BB0C:62EBCEA0:vncproxy:2999:lnxbil@local-ldap-replica:VM 2999 not running: TASK ERROR: Failed to run vncproxy
The log data from daemon.log IS ACTUALLY like this:

Code:
Aug  4 15:50:25 proxmox6 pvedaemon[4056356]: <lnxbil@local-ldap-replica> end task UPID:proxmox6:003FAFF3:6041BB0C:62EBCEA0:vncproxy:2999:lnxbil@local-ldap-replica: Failed to run vncproxy.

If you want a more detailed explanation, just join that line with contents of the task with the given ID.

These are the file names of the logs which are in the other folders in pve/tasks : )
My question, as I'm busy with a central logging project on multiple ProxMox clusters to log to Loki via Promtail: is there a hook script of sorts to be able to know when the next file is created/closed/etc.?

A bit counter productive to scan the directory every couple of minutes, and then to have positional counters to monitor all the files that are (mostly) not being written to.

Sorry but have you read and tried to understood what I wrote?
I did :)
The log data from daemon.log IS ACTUALLY like this:

Code:

If you want a more detailed explanation, just join that line with contents of the task with the given ID.
Bit.. of a bigger challenge when you want to stream the logs to a central logger/store (Like Loki / ElasticSearch) using a quite static tool (like Promtail / Fluentd / Graylog )

I did :)

Bit.. of a bigger challenge when you want to stream the logs to a central logger/store (Like Loki / ElasticSearch) using a quite static tool (like Promtail / Fluentd / Graylog )
Yes sure ... the problem I see is that you have some kind of 1:n table structure. The daemon.log consists of a single line that points to a file that has potentially more than one line, so the question is, how does a central log system should work with that?

A bit counter productive to scan the directory every couple of minutes, and then to have positional counters to monitor all the files that are (mostly) not being written to.
I'd use fam to monitor the directory and stream the contents to the central log system.

I'm curious how to proceed further and I'm willing to also set this up. I played around with graylog last week, but I have to say that I'm not hooked. This looks so overcomplicated in comparison to a simple table like structure if you just want to use it as a human reading frontend (filtering, alertering may be superb, but I just looked at the human part). Maybe you can describe how you want to use it?

Reactions: Matthias.
Yes sure ... the problem I see is that you have some kind of 1:n table structure. The daemon.log consists of a single line that points to a file that has potentially more than one line, so the question is, how does a central log system should work with that?
you tag the filename_upid and a special tag like this_is_upid_detail, and then when you get a UPID in the mainlog, you can do a query on the this_is_upid_detail with filename_upid == UPID to fetch the relevant details.

incron/FAM/etc.[1] is adding a tad more... fragile complexity, to the hypervisors, where a hookscript from the task logger would've been a very KISS solution to (using ie. promtail) just stream the file to the central log

Note [1]: years gone back, there was an interface (or was it external module?) that was able to feed all the FS events and then you could filter what you want/etc. The problem with things FAM/inotify: you (recursively) need a FD per directory, and a recursive (as is the case with task/logs) could be a challenge on kernel resources

you tag the filename_upid and a special tag like this_is_upid_detail, and then when you get a UPID in the mainlog, you can do a query on the this_is_upid_detail with filename_upid == UPID to fetch the relevant details.
Is the query done automatically, or manualy on a per line basis? If it's manual, then there is really no up-side in doing this, is there? Normally things should get easier.

Yes, the hookscript would be really better if it could already prepare some kind of json-like logging struture, of if PVE would implement GELF.

Note [1]: years gone back, there was an interface (or was it external module?) that was able to feed all the FS events and then you could filter what you want/etc. The problem with things FAM/inotify: you (recursively) need a FD per directory, and a recursive (as is the case with task/logs) could be a challenge on kernel resources
Oh, wasn't aware of the complexities behind it, that would really stress the hypervisor in this hash-organized directory structure.

Is the query done automatically, or manualy on a per line basis? If it's manual, then there is really no up-side in doing this, is there? Normally things should get easier.

Yes, the hookscript would be really better if it could already prepare some kind of json-like logging struture, of if PVE would implement GELF.

Oh, wasn't aware of the complexities behind it, that would really stress the hypervisor in this hash-organized directory structure.
It seems to be possible to get something more automated than manual copy-pasting.
Still, if it's there, then it's queriable

Reactions: amstel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!