Forwarding all traffic to Proxmox host to branch into VMs

OverseersMight

Aug 26, 2023
Right now I manually configure static IPs for each VM I create. Once assigned, I then manually port forward the port (if I intend to) by going to my router's configuration. My end goal is to have all network configuration in a singular place.
My idea is to forward all traffic that goes through my router to the Proxmox node (I think?), once received, I would like to distribute (depending on the port) to specific guests.
I was looking into Proxmox's VLAN earlier today, but couldn't figure out anything that would work.

Possibly having a private subnet where all the VMs are (but can still access the internet) that Proxmox forwards traffic to.

Any and all ideas are appreciated, basically I just want to centralize my network management.

Right now I manually configure static IPs for each VM I create. Once assigned, I then manually port forward the port (if I intend to) by going to my router's configuration. My end goal is to have all network configuration in a singular place.
My idea is to forward all traffic that goes through my router to the Proxmox node (I think?), once received, I would like to distribute (depending on the port) to specific guests.
I was looking into Proxmox's VLAN earlier today, but couldn't figure out anything that would work.

Possibly having a private subnet where all the VMs are (but can still access the internet) that Proxmox forwards traffic to.

Any and all ideas are appreciated, basically I just want to centralize my network management.
If you are doing this in a home setting, really, the only way you could do what you want to do based on what you describe, is change your router mode in the modem, from gateway, to router. Then plug it in to one of two network interfaces on your proxmox server, install a vm of something like pfsense, or openwrt, on proxmox with two virtual nic's, put the interface with the connection to the modem, into a bridge, do not assign it an ip in proxmox, leave it unconfigured. assign the wan nic of the router vm to this bridge.. it should be assigned an IP via dhcp from your ISP. You may need to reboot your modem after you plug only the proxmox server into it, but before you try having the router vm request a wan ip via dhcp. Create a seperate bridge, make the bridge network interface on proxmox be in a seperate private network.. you could set it to dhcp, but then it would change based on what pfsense or openwrt (etc) assign it, and that just gets confusing. and also make it the pfsense or openwrt LAN network, by assigning the vm lan nic to this bridge.. as well as assign the other physical network interface on the proxmox server to that bridge, that should be the same "physical network" as what you're on. Nat should work out of the box. Reboot your computer. Then Login to the router vm config panel, and set up your network there from now on. proxmox should be available by the static ip assigned to it from the local-to-you network.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!