Forced reinstall Proxmox booting from iso

Sasha

Oct 18, 2018
Kazahstan
Hi, guys!
While REInstalling PM 7.4 on dedicated server via VNC we've got a problem, that after loading and starting PM's iso on rescue system it goes into previously installed PM's booting, but not installing new one.

PS

The hoster's recipe of remote installing is

1. boot dedicated server into rescue mode
2. run ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 root@server's IP on desktop's command line
3. run qemu-iso https://delaemdelo.org/proxmox-ve_7.4-1.iso in p. 2 console
4. run VNC client to localhost:5900 on desktop and got installation process

p. 4 worked just first time with clear first installation. Now it boots into existing installed PM...
And hoster's support said me, that the problem is in iso's behaviour...

Last edited:
Hi, guys!
While REInstalling PM 7.4 on dedicated server via VNC we've got a problem, that after loading and starting PM's iso on rescue system it goes into previously installed PM's booting, but not installing new one.
Would You advice, how is it possible to reinstall PM from iso inspite of it's already installed?
Are you able to boot the iso? But it boots on the previously installed PM OS?

Exactly! We look it VNC window that process: iso starts and goes into already installed PM's boot menu, but not in new installation wizard.
I see that you try to boot the ISO on Rescue Mode from the advanced options as you mentioned above, have you tried the Install Proxmox VE?

Appreciate for Your attention.
Look, "Rescue mode" concerns dedicated server itself. The hoster's recipe of remote installing is

3. run qemu-iso https://delaemdelo.org/proxmox-ve_7.4-1.iso in p. 2 console

p. 4 worked just first time with clear first installation. Now it boots into existing installed PM...

Last edited:
I am trying to do the same since this seems to be the best way to do it without bios access/boot override.
I do run however into a couple of issues.

1. qemu-iso returns command not found. (But qemu is installed on the rescue OS. Use qemu-system-x86-64 instead?)
2. No storage detected. (I know I this would happen and would like to know of maybe @Sasha has a good way to do it before I start trying random things myself.)

Thanks in advanvce.

I am trying to do the same since this seems to be the best way to do it without bios access/boot override.
I do run however into a couple of issues.

1. qemu-iso returns command not found. (But qemu is installed on the rescue OS. Use qemu-system-x86-64 instead?)
2. No storage detected. (I know I this would happen and would like to know of maybe @Sasha has a good way to do it before I start trying random things myself.)

Thanks in advanvce.
Well... Talking about wipefs -fa /dev/sdX I mentioned any boot system that has wipefs onboard. In my case it was a Rescue Boot System of my hoster...

Hi, guys!

PS

The hoster's recipe of remote installing is

3. run in p. 2 console

Reactions: Sasha
Did the network interface work by anyone?

In my case I just used:
qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4096 -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -cdrom ./proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso -boot d

Then I installed proxmox on ZFS RAID 1 and when done, shutdown the VM and rebooted the server.
But after that the network interface did not work as it used the qemu network interface. :(

Last edited:
Hmmm....

The IP address works without any issues but my upload/download speeds are between 100Mbit/s and 150Mbit/s.
The NIC is reporting it as a Gigabit connection and I know for a fact that my connection is Gigabit so I do not understand why my speeds are so slow.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I totally forgot that I used ZFS for the first time and 100Mbit/s to150Mbit/s is the max my SSDs can do.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!