[FIXED] Proxmox Not Working After Instalation - Network issues

filsantos

Jul 27, 2023
Hi Guys,

First of all I´d like to appologize for my lack of information/knowledge. I tried to search in a few forums, google, etc, without success.
I am able to install proxmox but I am doing somthing wring in the /etc/network/interfaces file

I´m trying to setup proxmox in a old latop (I am able to run debian with gui with success) so it is not a hardware issue

Not sure if it is something that affects but my network is a CGNAT

I installed the proxmox with the following details in the Management Network

Interface: enp2s0f5 (I´m using the ethernet with cable because it will be easier) I tried the wifi also with no success, the cable is working because I did a test in another machine.
Hostname: pve.home
Ip address: 192.168.0.150 (I select a high number to be sure it is not reserved but I check in my networking monitoring tool and I have only around 10 devices)
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (I check according to a few connected devices)
DNS Server: 1.1.1.1 (I also checked from a few connected devices)

After instalation, with success, I see that I´m not able to accesss from another computer the address: https://192.168.0.150:8006
I check and this ip still availble with the network monitoring tool

I tried hundred of times(for sure) edditing /etc/network/interfaces file with hotplug, dhcp, etc, etc without success... so I´m going to attach the file as I have after ths instalattion

I tried also ifup, systemctl networking restart, etc ,etc but I think I am missing something.

I´m going to update a few screenshots and I appreciate any help/guidance

Attachments

• ping.jpeg
    ping.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 14
  • pveversion.jpeg
    pveversion.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ipaddress.jpeg
    ipaddress.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 14
  • login.jpeg
    login.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 11
  • interfacesfile.jpeg
    interfacesfile.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 11
Your "ip addr" shows "NO-CARRIER", so there is a physical problem with your connection. Make sure the cable is plugged in or try another cable or other port on your switch/router. NEtwork config looks fine in case 192.168.0.1 is really your routers IP.
Wifi should be avoided, see here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/WLAN

Last edited:
Reactions: filsantos
Thanks my friend this is really a good light. Do you think it might be because of this computer netwokr drivers? anyhow to see f they are properly installed? I´m algo going to try debian GUI to be sure this ethernet is working as well as the wifi

I´m feeling like "rabbit hole" lol. In order to fix my issue I need to try kernel 5.15.... Then I start another research: how to use proxmox 5.15 kernel?lol At least I see that the options that you guys are providing me make a lot of sense... Right now I´m trying old versions of proxmox to find the right kernel.... but is that a way to use proxmox 8 with kernel 5.15? tks a lot

Did you look at the link which decribed how to switch kernels?
when I run apt-cache search pve-kernel I just see the last two availble... so I dowlnoad proxmox 4 and I´ll try to make it run....

I saw some explanations but it need internet connection in order to make it work

(again thanks a lot for your time and pacience)

As described in the link you can run proxmox-boot-tool kernel list to get a list of all kernels that are already installed on your system.
With the latest PVE 8.0.3 you should have kernels "5.15.108-1-pve" and "6.2.16-4-pve" available with "6.2.16-4-pve" as the default.
So to test the old kernel (the one that was the default with PVE 7.4) once you can run proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 5.15.108-1-pve --next-boot and do a reboot to see if that fixes the problem.

Reactions: filsantos
As described in the link you can run proxmox-boot-tool kernel list to get a list of all kernels that are already installed on your system.
With the latest PVE 8.0.3 you should have kernels "5.15.108-1-pve" and "6.2.16-4-pve" available with "6.2.16-4-pve" as the default.
So to test the old kernel (the one that was the default with PVE 7.4) once you can run proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 5.15.108-1-pve --next-boot and do a reboot to see if that fixes the problem.
Am I doing it wrongly?

attch files

Then it looks like you really only got that single kernel, which is strange, as PVE always keeps some older kernels, even if you run a apt autoremove.

@Dunuin I was able to get a BROADCAST message in the enp2s0f5 with the proxmox 5.4
I think it is a great progress..
I just check also I was able to make the proxmox run with no changes in the interfaces file....

Now I´ll do some research in how to keep this kernel and upgrade the rest

Attachments

• versionx.jpeg
    versionx.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 4
  • pingx.jpeg
    pingx.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Guys, I will update as soon as I get more details but I was able to fix my issue using the following:
1) According to our friend @Dunuin my network was showing as NO-CARRIER so in order to fix that I tried to make all the combinations possible to the interfaces file and again according to Duniun I need to use a OLD proxmox 5.4. After that I only flash the proxomox 8 to the pendrive and I install this new version... and then it worked....
I tried a few times... formatting and install only proxmox 8 and it wont work
format and install to 5.4 then after that install 8... it work...

Again I dont know the reason but It worked. I hope it can help more people

Add another data point here.
I had the same issue with intel NIC and did not find the kernel 5.15 in proxmox 8.
It works for me after installing proxmox 7.4(kernel 5.15) instead of 8.0(kernel 6.2).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!