First installation - storage best practice for OS, VMs and Data in one server

wonkyponky

Nov 8, 2023
Hi there-
this is my first Proxmox install, so maybe one of you could give me some guidance or point me to a good resource concerning storage organisation. I researched it but did not come to a full conclusion yet:

So I am about to get a decent server with at least 8x SAS/SATA in HBA mode (no hybrid/no hardware RAID) I want to run a few Windows VMs plus an FTP Server which will host a few TB of data. My setup could be the following:

- 2x small SSDs for Proxmox OS, ZFS in mirrored Vdevs
- 3x medium sized SSDs for the VMs and FTP storage, ZFS in RAIDZ1
- in a second step: new ZFS pool with SSDs or HDDs if the FTP server or other VMs filled up the space. This Volume should be useable by all VMs.
- also there will be a remote CIFS Volume/SMB share which I can use for backing up the Proxmox OS config and the VMs

What would you say from your experience - does it make sense to split it up like that? I read about separating Proxmox and the VMs. I just guess setting up another volume for storage only would not hurt ..

Thanks!!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!