Filesystem Root low on disk space

retrograde

Jun 17, 2021
I am receiving errors that one of my vm's root fs is running out of room.

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on dev 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev run 3.9G 924K 3.9G 1% /run /dev/mapper/volgroup0-lv_root 15G 15G 571M 97% / tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /dev/shm tmpfs 954M 16K 954M 1% /tmp /dev/mapper/volgroup0-lv_home 34G 4.7G 28G 15% /home tmpfs 201M 76K 201M 1% /run/user/1000 /dev/sr0 751M 751M 0 100% /run/media/username/ARCH_202104

Hardware:
proxmox-vm.jpg

I initially tried adding +50G to the Hard Disk (scsi0) in the hardware panel above, but this change was not recognized.

How can I increase the size of the rootfs (/dev/mapper/volgroup0-lv_root) safely?

If you resize your virtual disk by 50GB the virtual disk inside the VM will be 50GB bigger. But that space can't be used because it is unallocated space and not part of a partition. So you need to extend or create new partition inside your VM to be able to really use it.

If you resize your virtual disk by 50GB the virtual disk inside the VM will be 50GB bigger. But that space can't be used because it is unallocated space and not part of a partition. So you need to extend or create new partition inside your VM to be able to really use it.
How can I use this extra 50GB to extend the lv_root partition?

That depends...look for some tutorials like this. This has nothing to do with proxmox. Proxmox is just increasing the disk size (like replacing a smaller physical drive with a bigger one and copying all stuff from the old to the new drive on a real computer). Everything else has to be done inside the guest and depends on what filesystems, partitions and OS you are using.

Last edited:
Reactions: retrograde
I appreciate your help. I realize my question wasn't Proxmox specific. Thank you Dunuin.

Edit: I have expanded the partition, resized the lv_root using the link provided, along with diving deep into the Arch Linux wiki.

lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS sda 8:0 0 100G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part └─sda2 8:2 0 99.5G 0 part ├─volgroup0-lv_root │ 254:0 0 30G 0 lvm / └─volgroup0-lv_home 254:1 0 69.5G 0 lvm /home sr0 11:0 1 750.3M 0 rom /run/media/user/ARCH_202104

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!