Fiber Channel Storage

dennis_ece

Apr 29, 2010
Hi to everybody,

I'm new with Proxmox VE. I already tested a 5 proxmox cluster nodes and 1 iscsi-target storage using my dell1950(pve) and x346(iscsi-target). I successfully done live migration and its fantastic. :p

pve-manager: 1.5-9 (pve-manager/1.5/4728)
running kernel: 2.6.32-2-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.5-7

Please help me with this.

I'm planning another setup using 3 x dl360 g7 with 2 HBA each for multipath, 3 clustered proxmoxve each connected with FC Storage. I will not use iscsi-target but direct attached FC on each dl360. Can this setup will work with live-migration enabled?

I think this will work using OCFS2. But I would like to ask everyone first.

Thanks!

Den

Hi,

The best choice i think, is using raw disk access over LVM.
You will have better performances and with LVM you can easily resize / backup your VM disk.

Best regards,

Hi,
like MrJack wrote - it's runs without trouble with lvm-storage.
I have a 2-node cluster with serveral FC-Luns (on 3 raids) with lvm-storage which run very well.
In this case i don't use multipath but i have test it some month before.

Udo

Thanks for the reply. :D

Hi Udo/MrJack,

So it means its possible with live migration. How do I suppose to do that? Please give me some major guidelines.

Thanks again.

Den

Thanks for the reply. :D

Hi Udo/MrJack,

So it means its possible with live migration. How do I suppose to do that? Please give me some major guidelines.

Thanks again.

Den
Hi Den,
quick example without multipath (for multipath search in the forum):
Code:
proxmox1:~# lsscsi 
[2:0:0:8]    disk    ES-6600S ES-6600S-VOL#009 R001  /dev/sdd
[2:0:1:0]    disk    HITACHI  DF600F           0000  /dev/sde
[2:0:1:1]    disk    HITACHI  DF600F           0000  /dev/sdf
[2:0:2:17]   disk    ES-6600S ES-6600S-VOL#017 R001  /dev/sdg
[2:0:2:18]   disk    ES-6600S ES-6600S-VOL#018 R001  /dev/sdh

# create a volumegroup on /dev/sdd
pvcreate /dev/sdd
vgcreate -s 4M es6600_lun8_vg /dev/sdd
"Add LVM Group" at the web-gui in storage. Use the create VG (es6600_lun8_vg) and select shared (this means all nodes of your cluster can access the VG) and disks.

That's all - then you can create VMs with storage on this volume and you can of course use live migration.

With "lvdisplay" you can look for your volumes.

Udo

Okay. Its very simple. I thought I'll have to zone all nodes to access the storage.

Do this means that all nodes are accessing the storage via Fiber?

Thanks!

Den

Okay. Its very simple. I thought I'll have to zone all nodes to access the storage.

Do this means that all nodes are accessing the storage via Fiber?

Thanks!

Den
Hi,
this means that all node must have access to all storage which is marked as shared (via iscsi, fc, drbd or nfs).
If you want to use drbd you should only use a 2-node-cluster (if you don't want to use a trick).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!