fiber channel storage and vms snapshot

mbriet

Apr 2, 2024
Hello,
I read on the net and on this forum the only filesystem support for FC storage is LVM. But it does not support vms snapshot.
Can I understand correctly

The only thing block us to migrate on proxmox is we use FC storage and we must have the vm snapshot. Do you have somes news about this feature.

I read somes thread to mount a server prosy mount FC server on this server and shared lun from this server but is not a good solution for us

regards

I read on the net and on this forum the only filesystem support for FC storage is LVM. But it does not support vms snapshot.
Can I understand correctly
Yes.

The only thing block us to migrate on proxmox is we use FC storage and we must have the vm snapshot. Do you have somes news about this feature.
It's never going to be supported. LVM has been around for decades and if it would be doable, it would already be done.

I read somes thread to mount a server prosy mount FC server on this server and shared lun from this server but is not a good solution for us
Yes, that is the way to go, e.g. ZFS-over-iSCSI.

We do it like this:
  • live migrate VM from FC-based LVM to ZFS-over-iSCSI if we need to take a snapshot
  • take a snapshot, play around what we wanted to test, restore snapshot or delete snapshot
  • live migrate back
We also just take a fresh backup with PBS (it's incremental and very fast), play around and keep on going or restore from backup.

my question was in real why only support lvm on the fc storage and not for example lvm-thin wich support snapshot

so
in vmware we have fc storage map to all esxi host and create vmfs for the cluster
how can we do with proxmox
sample present all storage to promox create a ceph cluster and maps ceph storage to proxmox server like shared storage?

in vmware we have fc storage map to all esxi host and create vmfs for the cluster
how can we do with proxmox
Proxmox does not provide an integrated Cluster Aware Filesystem similar to VMFS.
The key word is "integrated". As Proxmox is a free software based on Debian Linux, you can install, configure and manage one of the CAF available for Linux. For example, OCFS2. There are some guides in the forum how to do it. If you use it in production and your CAF breaks, it will be up to you to fix it.

sample present all storage to promox create a ceph cluster and maps ceph storage to proxmox server like shared storage?
No. Ceph is not meant to be used with SAN. You can do it, but at your own risk. The results will likely disappoint you.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Proxmox does not provide an integrated Cluster Aware Filesystem similar to VMFS.
The key word is "integrated". As Proxmox is a free software based on Debian Linux, you can install, configure and manage one of the CAF available for Linux. For example, OCFS2. There are some guides in the forum how to do it. If you use it in production and your CAF breaks, it will be up to you to fix it.
this is not the goal. I want only use supported solution
so is lvm disk mark as shared to be live migration on the cluster
and when we need vm snapshot take a backup or a clone of the vm

regards

Ok thanks
Last question if i use lvm how Can i take backup on the vms
ALL product use Snapshot to take backup but Snapshot IS not possible

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!