skit

Aug 14, 2019
Dear community, i do not seem to find any answer.

Fencing is crucial for the cluster config and operation, but also very little documented.
I did configure IPMI-Fencing, it is working (2-3 minutes until VM would come up on the healthy node after node failure).
But there are options in ui and datacenter.cfg that i do not correctly understand.
Those are:
under Datacenter->HA->Fencing is nothing at all, but Fencing seems to be configured.
In datacenter.cfg documentation under fencing referenced fence.cfg - but no documentation so far.
In previous versions of proxmox there was fence_tool that was used to operate on fencing, and fenced service that was possible to configure.
Now i do not seem to find neither one.

Using proxmox 6.1-8 three nodes in cluster.

Am i missing something out and there is completely new cncept?
Or did i just misunderstand some point?
(I did read fencing tutorials from proxmox, yes)

Thank you for clarifying.

Need to revive this topic.

SO we got IPMI configured, but it is super slow - takes about 2 minutes until the cluster notices that node is offline.
Cluster is 7 nodes by now.

So 2 minutes is not a cool solution, and as i understand i need hardware fencing to shorten time out.
Now:
fence agents are somewhat outdated, documentation for proxmox is not existent (not that is clear what to do and how - except for general stuff like "fencing is very importent" or "ipmi fencing" - which is not sufficient as i understand it).

We use the latest version with community subscription.

In general the questions are two, and there they are:

1) How can i decrease the downtime of a VM if the host is down? (Shorten the timeout)
2) What hardware Fencing devices exactly can i use and how - how to use watchdogs i did read - any pointers welcome!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!