FEATURE REQUEST: Please consider adding CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_CONSOLE as a built in to the kernel

mihanson

Nov 1, 2018
I'd like to humbly ask that CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y be added to the kernel config so that those who have hardware that lacks a real serial port can attach a USB serial device and see startup messages. Debian denied this request a few years back as "too unusual" of a use case, but I feel that this could be very useful to the Proxmox community. Thank you.

Reactions: leesteken
Yes, I use serial too, but with "real" ports. On servers this is not possible, I use netconsole for the sake of reading the startup messages. Maybe this could solve your problem too?

Unfortunately netconsole appears to suffer the same issue as USB SERIAL CONSOLE. It's built as a module in the kernel CONFIG_NETCONSOLE=mso you would not see anything until after the kernel modules are loaded, missing GRUB and any issues early in the boot process.

Unfortunately netconsole appears to suffer the same issue as USB SERIAL CONSOLE. It's built as a module in the kernel CONFIG_NETCONSOLE=mso you would not see anything until after the kernel modules are loaded, missing GRUB and any issues early in the boot process.
grub obviously not, but the whole kernel ringbuffer is sent via netconsole after it has been loaded from the initramfs. I'm using this for decades and it is e.g. directly supported and implemented in RHEL for really decades.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!