Failing to boot Home Assistant qcow2 image disk - UEFI Access Denied

salpot

Nov 17, 2021
Greetings,

So I set up a VM in order to install Home Assistant. I download the qcow2 image from https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/alternative and import it to the new VM.

The end result is the following VM conf.

Code:
# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/108.conf
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 4
efidisk0: local:108/vm-108-disk-0.qcow2,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=528K
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1637164601
name: hass
net0: virtio=3A:33:D9:BE:3E:48,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: local:108/vm-108-disk-1.qcow2,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=45d8dff0-ea21-4597-a792-a769f3282e64
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 44bb51a6-bd4e-4946-9a82-f730ed2b08fe

When I try to boot the VM, I get an "Access Denied" when booting UEFI as shown here:

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 1.39.07 PM.png

Anybody facing a similar issue? is the problem with Proxmox or Home Assistant?

Thank you.

I've got the same! Trying to install it for the first time and I'm running into the same image.

I tried this: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVMF/UEFI_Boot_Entries

But the shimx64.efi file doesn't show. When adding the HAOS drive to BOOTx64.inf it shows up as a boot option; I move it to the top, but then I get another error upon boot (see image).

Can you try the above tutorial and try to add the boot option and see what happens.

I'm a proxmox beginner; so we can use some help from the pro's!!

TY

Attachments

• boot64.jpg
    boot64.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 103
I managed to get it working using the proxmox-ve_7.0-2.iso instead of the latest one!

Looks like a bug in proxmox-ve_7.1-1.iso

maybe it does not boot with secure boot on? try either unchecking the 'pre-enrolled keys' checkbox, or deactivate secure boot in ovmf

Secure boot was disabled; I checked.

SSD interface was set to AHCI.
At least in the NUC's bios.

If there is an other location to disable this and uncheck options you need to tell me how and where to find it!

Disabling Secure boot fixed my problem. I should have updated my post earlier, sorry.

At least in the NUC's bios.

If there is an other location to disable this and uncheck options you need to tell me how and where to find it!

Not in your host machine, but in the Proxmox VM. When you see the Proxmox logo when booting a VM, hit escape and then go to Device Manager -> Secure Boot Configuration then disable Attempt Secure Boot.

Disabling Secure boot fixed my problem. I should have updated my post earlier, sorry.

Not in your host machine, but in the Proxmox VM. When you see the Proxmox logo when booting a VM, hit escape and then go to Device Manager -> Secure Boot Configuration then disable Attempt Secure Boot.
THANK YOU!!
Whole day on that. Gave up, installed it on the other server, an Unraid one, just so I had HomeAssistant working til I could find a solution and you saved me! lol
Thanks again! Tricky one

Thanks a lot, this works out. I spend a lot of time for it but now it works!

THANK YOU! I created my account here to just say thank you. I spent a good 3 hours figuring this out. Proxmox newbie here as well.

It is odd that a few weeks back the install went fine. Now i wiped my system and re-did proxmox on a larger HDD which started causing these issues.

Using the guide at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVMF/UEFI_Boot_Entries

I'm trying to do the same as the OP, for me it fails at
  1. Start-up the VM and press ESC to get into the OVMF menu.
The VM host starts, I press ESC, but it just presents me with the boot order, no options for device manager or boot maintainance manager so that I can turn off Secure Boot.

Any other things I can try?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!