Failing Installation with PVE 8.2 ISO on USB media

TimRyan

Aug 24, 2022
Kaslo BC Canada
comxpertise.ca
Hi
I have an existing 6 server cluster that was built on Dell R610 and R710 Servers with the PVE 6 ISO images and has been upgraded without issue all the way to PVE 8.0.4
the CLI displays as such 6.2.16-14-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.2.16-14
I am attempting to add 3 additional Dell R710 servers but after reconditioning and with a fresh RAID-5 disk array the USB install ISO image loads the ProxMox GUI and accepts the setup information, displays the target hard disk /dev/sda (9.09TiB, PERC H700) then accepts the Next button on the GUI
The Country, TimeZone, Password, Management Interface, Hostname,
The IP information is populated correctly
The summary page is presented as complete
The platform page displays and the progress bar gets to "Create LV's" and stalls, and then returns to the CLI with an error set.

I then will retry the boot and install from the same USB media and it will eventually deliver a functional server at PVE 8.2 with a shell line as shown
Linux prox-6 6.2.16-3-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PVE 6.2.16-3 (2023-06-17T05:58Z) x86_64

This must have something to do with the Debian OS not finding the empty raid5 drive space on the first go around. Has anyone else seen these sorts of problems?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!