[SOLVED] Failed Installation From USB

Cmdrd

Sep 19, 2017
I'm having an issue trying to install both Proxmox 5.0 and 4.4 (testing 4.4 to see if it would work) using a USB drive. Using the dd command (dd if=proxmox... of=/dev/sdX) and I'm not having any luck. Select to boot from USB and I get a gray screen then it boots into the already installed OS on the SSD. I have tried installing both with and without the blocksize argument and I'm always syncing after finishing the dd command. I also made sure to delete the partition table from the USB before running dd so that it wasn't causing any issues.

At this point I've exhausted everything that I can think of, including USB drives from different manufacturers and I still haven't had any success.

Hi,

Do you have check your bios settings?

Like secure boot, legacy boot, ...

Also verify the checksum of your download.

I have verified the checksum of both ISOs. I had also disabled UEFI in the BIOS and left on legacy boot as no boot devices appeared, but after enabling UEFI I was able to boot the 4.4 installer. The 5.0 installer fails at trying to find the cdrom, whereas the 4.4 installer fails initially and then finds it at /dev/sdb.

Fingers crossed the rest of the install goes well and I'll just upgrade from 4.4 to 5.0 once installed.

Install was successful but updating, for some reason, resulted in the OS not being able to find the boot volume.

What I did try after some searching and finding a Reddit thread (can't post it due to being a new user, but it's in Reddit /r/homelab, just need to search "proxmox install no cd found"), I tried imaging Proxmox 5.0 to the USB using Rufus in DD mode. Success! It found the cdrom and the install completed successfully! My recommendation based on this experience would be not to discount Rufus in the wiki, but add a note that if you're using Rufus to use it in DD mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!