External switch connected to Proxmox server Physical Ethernet port

meadow400

Mar 29, 2024
Hello,

I have a VM that runs WDS, DHCP, DNS that was on Vmware. The VM was tied to the physical port on the VMware. The physical port has a Ethernet Cable runnign to an unmanaged netgear switch with multiple ports. I woukd then connect a laptop to the switch and PXE boot to install windows 11 on the laptop. I am trying to get the same setup workign on Proxmox, but not sure how to proceed. I had setup anotehr Linux bridge, vmbr1on proxmox, and set the VM to use it. I found out that beucase its nridge, other VM's on the same bridge can talk to each other. But not any laptop I plug into the netgear switch. How do I get packets going between the bridge and the laptop? or should I look into setting up s virtual switch?

proxmox server WDS( (192.168.42.1) on bridge adapter vmbr1 ----> netgear switch --------> laptop (192.168.42.5)

On vmrb0 are my VM's that are connected to my comany's network. The one lone WDS VM is the only standalone VM I will be using on vmrb1.

Hope that all made sense. Thank!

You need to connect the physical NIC that is connected via cable to the switch to vmbr1.
You do not need to configure vmbr1 with an IP address if the Proxmox node itself does not need to be reachable from that network.
Thank you for your reply. how do I connect the physical NIC to vmbr1? When I created vmbr1 I used the name of the NIC as the bridge-ports value. Did I do that correctly or should have I done it differently? With it that way with no IP configured on the bridge the laptop on the switch still cannot get a DHCP from the VM that has the bridge assigned to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!