Expose Ceph Public Network to VM

manofoz

Apr 3, 2024
Hello, I am trying to execute the following steps to expose Ceph running on my Proxmox host to a VM running K8:

1 - give access to the public ceph network to the VM. Try jumbo frames if you use them.
2 - create ceph.conf and admin key file on vm.
3 - try to see ceph -s
4 - mount RBD or CephFS inside the vm

I am having trouble exposing the ceph network to the VM. My Ceph network is using a tunderbolt ring network with openfabric routing. eno5 and eno6 are the TB interfaces and 10.0.0.81 is the IP from this node:

1715355995844.png

When I create a linux bridge like this and assign it to an adapter on the VM the network will not connect:

1715356095220.png

Not sure how to proceed, been googling for a while but am thoroughly stuck.

I was going about this wrong, though I don't know if I did it right. I ended up changing the public network of ceph to my already bridged netwrok the VMs use. Then I copy pasted ceph.conf and a keyring file and boom!

Code:
thaynes@kubevip:/etc/ceph$ ceph -s
  cluster:
    id:     9b0628e1-1fe9-49d2-b65b-746d05215e3d
    health: HEALTH_OK

services:
    mon: 3 daemons, quorum pve01,pve02,pve03 (age 39m)
    mgr: pve03(active, since 39m), standbys: pve01, pve02
    mds: 2/2 daemons up, 1 standby
    osd: 6 osds: 6 up (since 63m), 6 in (since 6h)

data:
    volumes: 2/2 healthy
    pools:   6 pools, 161 pgs
    objects: 9.11k objects, 35 GiB
    usage:   102 GiB used, 10 TiB / 10 TiB avail
    pgs:     161 active+clean

io:
    client:   51 KiB/s wr, 0 op/s rd, 10 op/s wr

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!