Export files from backup xxx.tar.zst file

lukas.m29

Feb 15, 2023
Hello, I have an LXC container "SMB" on which I keep my data. This container has mountpoints added with the value "backup=1". Assuming that the backups (xxx.tar.zst files) are kept on another disk (as a regular directory in ext4 format), in case of a failure of, for example, the host system disk or any other disk, can I connect the disk containing the backups to my Linux computer, mount it and then extract the "xxx.tar.zst" file and take out my lost data from it?

Last edited:
I have already tested this and it is possible to recover files this way in case of a critical failure.

PS. VZDump still uses .tar. This is the format my backup file

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2023-02-16 145550.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-02-16 145550.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 18
This was my scenario and steps I took, hope it helps.

[Condition:]
Proxmox boot drive catastrophic failure, no backup image or backup of configuration files located. VM LXC 'vzdump' backups safely exist elsewhere. VM disks exist on ZFS store mountpoints.

[Objective:]
Create bootable Proxmox system with correct VM information; bootable ASAP.

[Desired:]
To NOT fully restore VMs from backup as VM disks on ZFS store are ok.

[Initialization:]
1. Perform clean install of Proxmox & update
2. Configure storage: Obtaining details from backup log files, import ZFS storage and configure proxmox->datacentre->storage

[Restore process]
Extract VM config single file 'pct.conf' from .tar.zst archive located within archive at '/etc/vzdump/pct.conf' into ./tmp folder (folder tmp must already exist)

Following command Result: Will extract output file as ./tmp/etc/vzdump/pct.conf

> tar -xvf vzdump-lxc-ID-<datestamp>.tar.zst -C ./tmp ./etc/vzdump/pct.conf

Take details from vzdump backup log file (e.g VM ID) and copy pct.conf to /etc/pve/lxc/<VMID>.conf

Do this for all VMs for which the config data needs to be applied.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!