[SOLVED] Explain please pve-no-subscription

ukro

May 16, 2021
Greetings,
Do i understand correctly that if i am not a subscriber and i want production use of Proxmox i should exclude pve-no-subscription from apt sources list,
to make pve more stable?

Greetings,
Do i understand correctly that if i am not a subscriber and i want production use of Proxmox i should exclude pve-no-subscription from apt sources list,
to make pve more stable?
if you don't have a subscription, you need to to keep pve-no-subscription to get updates.

if you want it more "stable" -> "more tested by the community", you need to buy a license to use the enterprise repo.

packages are the same between no-subscription && enterprise repo, but they are first tested in no subscription repo, before going to enterprise repo.

if you don't have a subscription, you need to to keep pve-no-subscription to get updates.

Actually by default, after installation, the Enterprise repository is enabled.

So either you buy a subscription and activate the license (no further configuration needed) or you enable the No-subscription repository (and disable the Enterprise repository). This can be done through the GUI.

As stated the Enterprise repository has more tested, so more stable updates. Preferred for production environments.

@tom @spirit @birdy
Thank you guyz for answering but the question si still not answered.
As for home usage i don't want to be a subscriber (reguarding company i am thinking about community subscription)

So if i install proxmox for home usage and i dont want nosubscription repository as they are not recomended for production (Thats what i mean solid stable lets say) So it is recomended to exclude it and just keep security updates ?
And if a new proxmox come out i just dist-upgrade and it will update to new version with new packages? or i still need the no subscription one to do dist-upgrade?

Thank you

Reactions: SOUK
.......but the question si still not answered.

Yes it is. :cool:

if you want it more "stable" -> "more tested by the community", you need to buy a license to use the enterprise repo.
So either you buy a subscription and activate the license (no further configuration needed) or you enable the No-subscription repository (and disable the Enterprise repository).

Or

Last edited:
Reactions: ukro
Yes it is. :cool:

Or
Well okay in a way you are right.
What if i exclude pve no subscription and will i be able to dist-upgrade? And the security repository that i have in sources will still work right?
If there is a new fresh version of PVE that means it is production ready? or production ready means if you have subscription?

What if i exclude pve no subscription and will i be able to dist-upgrade?

Yes and no. :confused:

Proxmox VE is build on Debian and Proxmox adds their stuff to that. Both need to be updated. If you look in the repositoryconfig (GUI or files) then there will be (3) Debian repositories and a (1) Proxmox repository. You need all these (4) to update your system. If you have no Proxmox repository configured only Debian will be updated.

Debian you dont have to touch they are probably ok. You only have to choose a Proxmox repository (Enterprise or No-subscription). The difference between these two should be clear by now (I hope).

If not (from the Admin Guide):

3.1.2. Proxmox VE Enterprise Repository​

This is the default, stable, and recommended repository, available for all Proxmox VE subscription users. It contains the most stable packages and is suitable for production use. The pve-enterprise repository is enabled by default

3.1.3. Proxmox VE No-Subscription Repository​

This is the recommended repository for testing and non-production use. Its packages are not as heavily tested and validated. You don’t need a subscription key to access the pve-no-subscription repository.

Yes and no. :confused:

Proxmox VE is build on Debian and Proxmox adds their stuff to that. Both need to be updated. If you look in the repositoryconfig (GUI or files) then there will be (3) Debian repositories and a (1) Proxmox repository. You need all these (4) to update your system. If you have no Proxmox repository configured only Debian will be updated.

Debian you dont have to touch they are probably ok. You only have to choose a Proxmox repository (Enterprise or No-subscription). The difference between these two should be clear by now (I hope).

If not (from the Admin Guide):

3.1.2. Proxmox VE Enterprise Repository​

This is the default, stable, and recommended repository, available for all Proxmox VE subscription users. It contains the most stable packages and is suitable for production use. The pve-enterprise repository is enabled by default

3.1.3. Proxmox VE No-Subscription Repository​

This is the recommended repository for testing and non-production use. Its packages are not as heavily tested and validated. You don’t need a subscription key to access the pve-no-subscription repository.
Okay, thank you i got it <3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!