EVPN over wireguard

magicfinger

Apr 25, 2024
The idea of "EVPN over wireguard" was to have all VM traffix between proxmox hosts encrypted. And I have it running like that for 2 years now without issues. So maybe you might find my setup useful, because it was simple to setup. Also I want to ask for external opinion before I switch production traffic to it.

I have a 3 node proxmox cluster setup with a wireguard tunnel between the three hosts.
  • All the proxmox services are NOT using the wireguard bridge because I hope they anyway encrypt sensitive traffic using ssh (except ceph traffic maybe?).
  • For VM traffic I am using EVPN and had it setup such that the EVPN traffic between proxmox hosts is going through encrypted wireguard tunnels. I did this simply by using the wireguard IP addresses of the proxmox hosts as EVPN peers.
Here are some questions and I would be happy to have some other opinions on these:
  1. Does this setup overall make sense?
  2. Is there something to worry about the setup with evpn peers using wireguard IPs to encrypt the VM traffic between proxmox hosts?
  3. I have read several times that EVPN in proxmox is not yet be stable, but it is running smoothly over 2 years for me. Anything I should be concerned about if I now use EVPN for production workloads?
  4. Is it possible that the EVPN implementation in proxmox could automatically create these wireguard bridges by just ticking a checkbox somewhere?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!