[SOLVED] Errr, is my disk dying? Manual fsck - v6.4-6 [Solved]

SpongeRob

Nov 29, 2021
Co. Donegal, Eire
I've got a Minecraft server running as my 5th VM (105) and according to it's console it's not booted because..

Code:
Failure: File system check of the root filesystem failed The root filesystem on /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv requires a manual fsck

So googling this brings up the possibility that my drive is dying? Also suggesting to run..

Code:
fsck -yf /dev/sda1

However nothing from that post mentioned 'ProxMox' so typically I'm guessing they were talking about Bare Metal install and hence referencing sda1. On my system sda1 is my ProxMox boot drive and my VMs are spanned across sdb1-sdi1. I also need to point out I am a linux noob so be gentle please!

Running the manual file system check on spanned drives (in ZFS pool) only returns with..

Code:
fsck from util-linux 2.33.1

So I googled that as well and apparently nothing is happening as this is the wrong command.. Maybe it should be 'fsck -t ext4 -f /filesystem' but at this point I'd rather post on here and rely on the experts please.

Thank in advance,

Your guest also has a 'virtual disk' - and this is the one that needs checking
from the output you posted it seems that Ubuntu is installed on LVM - and the device-node you need to check is /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv

so - try `fsck /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv`

I hope this helps!

Reactions: SpongeRob
Your guest also has a 'virtual disk' - and this is the one that needs checking
from the output you posted it seems that Ubuntu is installed on LVM - and the device-node you need to check is /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv

so - try `fsck /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv`

I hope this helps!
You sir, have made my day.. thank-you so much.. Yes, fixed the file structure and the VM boots once more. Now my son can backup his Minecraft world. I really appreciate your help, thank-you once again!

Attachments

• helped1.jpg
    helped1.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!