Error when I create new VM

jordanblai

Dec 14, 2017
Hi,
I'm new on xproxmox and I don't know why but when I create a new virtual machine I tried to run but I have thi error:

TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.

Any know what is this problem ?
Help!

Attachments

• aaaaa.png
    aaaaa.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 434
Hi there,

I hit the exact same failure today, when I was to start the VM: "KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS".

So other than " enable virtualisation in the mainboard BIOS ", do I have the option to have it disabled in VM configuration? If so, what are the steps to do it ?

Thanks,

Jack

You can disable it for a virtual machine in the GUI - go to that virtual machine->Options->KVM Hardware Virtualization (and disable it).

However, be aware that the performance w/o KVM is going to be really slow!

hm - if the error-message says that 'KVM virtualisation configured, but not available' then the system does not see the virtualisation as enabled.
* check the output of `dmesg` after a boot for hints to where the problem might be
* if there are any updates available for your firmware/BIOS make sure to install them

hope this helps

I can also agree, today I was able to successfully activate virtualisation on an old Dell Optiplex 780 bios A15, by deactivating the the trust (disable) of Virtual in the BIOS entry.

1651066322742.png

Thanks
you should put this option of your VM you have create on prox mox at No , KVM HARDWARE virtualisation --->NO
View attachment 24943

Thanks Abderrahin Boutalbi.
After checking Virtual box NESTED - OK
BIOS enable - OK
I saw your contribution and started my first VM on my tester environment.
I leave here any links to contribute when staying using VIRTUA BOX to run PVE servers and needs to enable NESTED using CLI.

https://ostechnix.com/how-to-enable-nested-virtualization-in-virtualbox/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54251855/virtualbox-enable-nested-vtx-amd-v-greyed-out

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!