ERROR: Ticket authentication failed - invalid ticket

Jason

May 13, 2011
Tried Everything: pveca -l Ticket authentication failed

I have tried everything I can find to resolve this. I join ve1 (Master) and ve2 (slave) together both running PVE 1.8.

$ pveca -l
CID----IPADDRESS----ROLE-STATE--------UPTIME---LOAD----MEM---DISK
1 : 192.168.200.1 M S 11 days 00:02 3.02 27% 13%
2 : 192.168.200.2 N ERROR: Ticket authentication failed - invalid ticket 'root::root::1305238838::62cbd4de6a74846d67d2e0350b65580fc9bf28d0'

I have NTP on both boxes and time is in sync. I can ssh between both boxes with no issues or password as it configures. I even went through the wiki on how to remove them and try again.

I checked versions both boxes are the same:

running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.8-32
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-32
qemu-server: 1.1-30
pve-firmware: 1.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-17
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-12
vzdump: 1.2.6-1
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.14.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-5

Only difference is one I had to install debian first and then install proxmox on ve1. Slave ve2 was installed from CD. Which I have done in the past and it works fine. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited:
Re: Tried Everything: pveca -l Ticket authentication failed

So any one have any ideas? I have tried everything I can find in the forum.

Thanks,
Jason

Just the normal:

May 4 09:39:51 ve1 pvemirror[806]: syncing vzlist from '192.168.200.2' failed: Ticket authenticati
on failed - invalid ticket 'root::root::1304519991::e0c02062c461a17d8aadb46c15074c28a6515fb1'

It looks like the others that have had time out of sync.

I also see this: pvedaemon[21856]: WARNING: Cannot encode 'meminfo' element as 'hash'. Will be encoded as 'map' instead

So what else can I check. I can migrate a VM with no issue. Just can't sync.

As I said the time is in sync. I have tried everything from:

NTP (both have the same config) Both have the same time
SSH I can SSH between the boxes without passwords
Verified both are running the same versions
deleted and retry over and over
Tried with the slave as the master

I have tried everything I can find in the forums. Anyone has any other ideas?

just to mention, you can go for a support ticket, open SSH to your boxes for our team and we try to fix it.

I checked pvedaemon process is running on both boxes. Not sure if they are working correctly or not. But they are running.

I assume you got no error when you created the cluster with 'pveca'? Please can you check if the cluster RSA keys are the same on both hosts?

# md5sum /etc/pve/pve-root-ca.pem

Sorry I forgot. No I don't get any errors. Only when I do pveca -l do I see the error, and on the web interface.

I think I found the source of the problem! I have the two servers connected via a cross-over cables. When traffic from the master and slave are pass through eth1 I see it show up as the Interface IP. I added routes to route the traffic for each vmbr0 across eth1. I don't have a firewall NATing eth1 on either machine. No NAT is enabled, but it seems by default some place it is using the Interface IP. I am sure this is why the pveca master and slave are not able to authenticate. The do setup correctly, but I am not sure why until it syncs they don't work.

Any ideas of how to use this kind of Config?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!