[SOLVED] [ERROR] No Device with Valid ISO Found

Stillkill

Oct 6, 2023
I have been trying to install Proxmox (versions 6, 7, and 8. All the same results) on a DL380 G6 but can't get the install media to work. I get as far as selecting Install Proxmox VE. Console text comes up and i get
Code:
testing device '/dev/sr0' for ISO
testing device '/dev/sdc' for ISO
testing again in xxx seconds...

[ERROR] No device with valid ISO found, please check your installation medium.

I have flashed the usb drive with both Rufus (dd mode) and Etcher, but neither tools work
The only changes I have made to Grub is adding module_blacklist=radeonfb to the linux options to fix a graphical error where I would get an "Out of Range" error on multiple monitors and vga cables (which appears to be a long running issue that hasn't been fixed yet according to the bug tracker)

Last edited:
The G6 has no UEFI support, maybe you made a UEFI only USB Stick with no CSM/legacy support?

I was able to solve this with what is perhaps the dumbest solution:

When the installer does the "testing device" loop, unplug the install media then plug it back in. For some reason it worked. I do not know why. Grub is weird.

I came about this solution while trying to install Debian for the alternative install method mentioned above when I ran into a similar issue, however that time I decided to replug and see what would happen. Lo and behold Debian started installing. I got halfway through installing Debian before I made the connection and tried the same method with proxmox.

Hopefully this helps because i've seen a few other threads in google searches with the same issue.

Note: This was tried with the 8.x ISO. Idk if it will with any other versions but if it worked on two operating system installers then it should for any version of proxmox. GL HF.

Reactions: lwabish and mira
Thank you for sharing this!

I had the same issue. The solution suggested didn't work. I was using Rufus when creating bootable image and only had to change to dd.
Work successfully.

Note: This was tried with the 8.x ISO. Idk if it will with any other versions but if it worked on two operating system installers then it should for any version of proxmox.

Reactions: Kreios
I am having the same issue installing 8.1. I have tried Ventoy, UNetBootin, and Rufus with the dd option and nothing has worked. I am installing Proxmox on HP servers. I have also used different sticks (an 8GB, old old 8GB, 32GB 2.0, and 32GB 3.2). I tried unplugging and plugging back in the USB as the one user had said during the search for the ISO with no luck. I see a great deal of these problems when searching with Google. You would think some effort would be put into stabalizing the installation process.

Ditto here, trying to install 8.1-1 using Ventoy, latest version (1.0.96). I then tried 8.0-2, and that installed just fine.

At boot 8.1 throws an error about some folders not found. Not sure what that is about.

$ sha256sum proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso
9018a17307ad50eb9bf32a805d0917d621499363ef87b0b477332ed9f9d7dcc1 proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso

Last edited:
Can you provide the exact model of your HP servers?
Are they running the latest BIOS?

Hello, I'm having the same problem. I tried Ventoy, I tried ilo, but the same problem every time.
I wanted to install Proxmox 8.1 because I experienced freezing in the previous version, but I cannot complete the installation.
my server : HP DL380 GEN9

I was able to solve this with what is perhaps the dumbest solution:

When the installer does the "testing device" loop, unplug the install media then plug it back in. For some reason it worked. I do not know why. Grub is weird.

I came about this solution while trying to install Debian for the alternative install method mentioned above when I ran into a similar issue, however that time I decided to replug and see what would happen. Lo and behold Debian started installing. I got halfway through installing Debian before I made the connection and tried the same method with proxmox.

Hopefully this helps because i've seen a few other threads in google searches with the same issue.

Note: This was tried with the 8.x ISO. Idk if it will with any other versions but if it worked on two operating system installers then it should for any version of proxmox. GL HF.
I met the same problem with 8.1.1 no matter using balenaEtcher or dd to write the iso to my usb disk on my mac.
Your method did work for me. Just registered this to thank you for sharing your trial

Reactions: game
I have the same issue and none of these solutions work. Are there any other possible solutions?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!