Error creating CT on top of shared gluster

rootus

Dec 15, 2014
Germany
www.huza.ro
Hello guys, I encounter the following issues when creating a Container or trying to download an LXC template on top of glusterfs volume.

The error messages are as follows:
- when trying to create a container: "TASK ERROR: unable to create containers on storage type 'glusterfs'"
- when trying to download a template: "cannot download to storage type 'glusterfs' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Nodes.pm line 1066. (500)"

I note that there is no issue in creating a container on the local filesystem or downloading a template there, nor do I have any issues uploading to the shared glusterfs volume files or creating virtual machines on it.

System details:
2 brick nodes (gluster replication)
3 proxmox servers
pve-manager/4.1-1/2f9650d4 (running kernel: 4.2.6-1-pve)
glusterfs 3.7.10 built on Apr 6 2016 17:15:55

The only other thing I could find related to this issue is a subject in the mailinglist, but unfortunately there is no solution provided there either: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.pve.user/5661
Somebody stated that this bug was sorted out but it deos not seem so, does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

Ok, it seems that for the template error issue the fix is to replace line 1067 from /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Nodes.pm
Code:
if !($scfg->{type} eq 'dir' || $scfg->{type} eq 'nfs');
with:
Code:
if !($scfg->{type} eq 'dir' || $scfg->{type} eq 'nfs' || $scfg->{type} eq 'glusterfs');

Will try now to fix the container creation on top of glusterfs also.

Storing containers on glusterfs is not supported, because the glusterfs client that we would need to use for that has such terrible performence that it is useless (and even worse, degrades the performance of glusterfs access using other means, for example in Qemu).

Thank you for the reply Fabian, the thing is gluster worked just fine under OpenVZ (I am using also proxmox version 3.x), does it downgrade performance that much that lxc support on top of glusterfs can not be implemented?

Storing containers on glusterfs is not supported, because the glusterfs client that we would need to use for that has such terrible performence that it is useless

Is LXC support for GlusterFS ever going to happen or should we just give up indefinitely on that prospect?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!