Error 37 when installing from a CD

Iluciv

Aug 26, 2013
Hi There
I've recently assembled a computer that I wish to use as a proxmox server. Configuration as follows

Mother Board
SABERTOOTH 990FX Revision 1

CPU
AMD FX 8120

Ram
Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R DDR3 Red

WD Sata Blue 500 gig drive

I was trying to install from an external usb CD Drive but was getting the same error I searched the forums here for the mobo and stated update the bios of the mobo which I've done to the latest revision I still get the same error

So I borrowed a sata cd rom from work and tried again but I got yet the same error. I've reburnt the CD a couple of times and tried both 3.0 and 3.1 versions of proxmox.

I'm going to assume it's a possible hdd drive issue so I'm searching for another hard drive to use as I chose a 500 gig drive just for OS and VM's I plan to use build a storage array once I've got the VM's configured the way I want them on this drive.

The error I'm getting is below I've searched for pointers as to what it could mean but as of yet I've been unsuccessful in finding anything that's too helpful.

command mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -F /dev/pve/data failed with exit code 37 at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 177

I'm assuming from my limited understanding that it's failing to make a ext3 filesystem for some reason does this suggest that the HDD is at fault? I'm just going through the default installation nothing fancy.

I did see someone suggest to install from a USB thumbdrive but I can't seem to get that to work via unetbootin takes a proverbial age to write to the thumb drive and then isn't usable anyway.

really looking forward (and hoping it's possible) to get this thing set up it's a bit of a beast of a machine and I'm pretty excited to get it going I'm just hoping I've not bought components that require some overly laborious method to get working, as I'm sure I'm going to repeatedly stuff the install up until I get it the way I want it.

Looking forward to hearing any tips

thanks!

Hi Thanks for your prompt reply sadly no joy with the USB installer so far.

was a bit fiddly as at first the dd command wouldn't work for the usb thumb drive so a dd zeroed it and then the proxmox installer installed to the usb drive. That go me thinking that maybe I should zero the target disk so I booted a live cd of mint and did just that but sadly the next usb install attempt failed with the same error.

I'm going to look around for another hard drive pretty sure I've got one around here I can use and hopefully it'll work on that.

would you happen to know what a error 37 is?

Thanks again for your reply

boot your server using a live cd (eg. ubuntu) and use gparted to remove all partitions from the disk, also check smart status with disk-utility or similar.

after that, try again the Proxmox iso installer.

Hi Just thought I'd reply to this thread

I'm currently nuking the hard drive I was trying to use to test it again. In the mean time I got an old laptop sata hard drive and tried that and it installed np so I'm pretty happy about this.

Thanks a lot for your assistance stoked it's now installed and I can start learning a bit more. :D

Same problem with a Maxtor 160GB hard disk. I tried with an old 40GB disk and it is working. Same problem in 3.1 and 3.3 versions. Both of them SATA.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!