Error 15

rubylaser

Renowned Member
Nov 11, 2009
I just upgraded my running Proxmox 1.5 host to Proxmox 1.6 following the directions on the wiki. Following the reboot, I get an error 15 using either the new kernel, and the previous 2.6.18 kernel. Any ideas to get this working again are really appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have a bit more info? Where exactly does the boot stop/fail (take a photo if nothing else helps). Is this a standard installation, or did you installed that system manually on top of Debian?

This was an install from the standard Proxmox 1.3 iso that had been updated to 1.4, then to 1.5, and finally, just updated to 1.6. The apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and installing the kernel appeared to work fine. When I rebooted to try out the new kernel I was greeted with the Error 15. Here's a picture of a portion of the screen. Sorry for the poor image, I took it with my cell phone.
Grub 15

I mucked around with a live Knoppix cd for a while to look at /boot/grub/menu.lst and everything looked good there. It appeared that the kernel was not in actually in the /boot/ directory though.

Since, I couldn't have this machine down for an extended period of time, I just installed Proxmox 1.6 from the iso, and restored from my KVM backups. Everything is working well again. I've never had a problem upgrading Proxmox before, so I'm not sure what happened. Thanks for getting back to me though.

Last edited:
maybe the menu.lst points to hda and the new kernels uses sda instead of hda.

to fix such an issue: boot a live cd (or the Proxmox VE iso in debug mode), mount the root partition and change the path´s in the /boot/grub/menu.lst to sda

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!