"Enumerating VM Files Using the Proxmox API"

CodeNinja92

Jan 31, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm currently exploring the capabilities of the Proxmox API and wondering if it's possible to enumerate the files of a Proxmox virtual machine (VM). Specifically, I'm not looking to access files within the VM but rather to obtain a list of files that make up the VM itself.

Has anyone worked on something similar or have any advice on how to achieve this with the Proxmox API? I would appreciate any information, documentation, or code examples you may be able to share.

Thanks in advance!

I don't want to enumerate files within the VM; I just want to know which files compose a Proxmox VM so that I can copy them for backup.

Additionally, I don't want a dump or backup.

I don't want to enumerate files within the VM; I just want to know which files compose a Proxmox VM so that I can copy them for backup.

Additionally, I don't want a dump or backup.
The Proxmox and VM configuration are in a database (accessible as files under /etc/pve/). The VM configurations are in /etc/pve/qemu-server/. The virtual disks depends on your storage but snaphots can be in other places. I admit that I don't really understand your use case but maybe these links can get you started.

Reactions: CodeNinja92

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!