Encrpytion light on tape drive lit?

ahorner

Dec 21, 2023
I just noticed when running a backup, the hardware Encryption light was lit on my drive for one of my tapes. This tape has been used without hardware encryption in the past.

Has PBS made a change to the way encryption is implemented, now using the hardware encryption by default?

Has PBS just corrupted my tape?

Thanks

Hi dietmar,

If I understand correctly, hardware encryption is optional and not recommended, and instead software encryption before the encryption hit the tape is used in order to allow key recovery?

In the case of the bug you mentioned, does that mean tapes may contain unencrypted data which was otherwise expected to be encrypted? This is of course very bad and blanking and rewriting the tapes would be necesary if true.

If I understand correctly, hardware encryption is optional and not recommended, and instead software encryption before the encryption hit the tape is used in order to allow key recovery?
There are different types/layers of encryption, You can use client side encryption, or tape encryption...

Does the tape encryption, which appears to be what is happening here with the hardware encryption enabled, still allow for key recovery? I was under the assumption it does not, so I cose software encryption hence my confusion at the light being lit

Just gonna bump that last question as I would say it is quite a major and reasonable concern - Selecting encryption should encrypt data. If it isn't encrypted, that's a problem!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!