Enabled GPU passthrough of Intel HD 610 with GVT-g in Proxmox 8

arnob216

Sep 29, 2023
I was able to enable GPU passthrough for my Intel HD 610 (Pentium G4560) and Gigabyte h110m-ds2 motherboard fairly easily. Jellyfin h/w transcode in privileged LXC and video playback/discord stream in Win 11 was successful. However, I would really love a full passthrough instead of GVT-g which everyone said is slower. Guide me someone if you can.

In the mean time, leaving here how I enabled GVT-G passthrough and added to Win 11 VM:

Install the required drivers on the Proxmox host.
apt install -y intel-opencl-icd

Edit grub
nano /etc/default/grub

Find the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and change to following:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on i915.enable_gvt=1"

Put command:
update-grub

Reboot the Proxmox node.

Validate changes. It showed IOMMU enabled
dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU

Edit modules
nano /etc/modules

# Modules required for PCI passthrough
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

# Modules required for Intel GVT
kvmgt
exngt
Vfio-mdev

Save and exit the editor and enter

update-initramfs -u -k all
Reboot the Proxmox node.

Find the PCI address of the iGPU.

lspci -nnv | grep VGA
This should result in output similar to this:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 610 [8086:5902] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Then from the hardware section of the VM, I added PCI-E device like this:
1696487988452.png

Start/Restart Win 11 VM and install Intel driver there.

Later on, I enabled RDP on Win 11 VM and disbled Display from VM Setting in proxmox.
1696488104351.png

Then connected using a local PC with wifi and the connection was pretty stable and youtube playback was pretty smooth (some frame drop/skip which may be my network issue too not sure). Also tested with potplayer, discord stream, all worked fairly well.

Thank you for your sharing! Do you have hdmi output from this vm that you gvt-pass-to?
No, actually I enter through Remote Desktop protocol, nothing else needed. However, I still installed Parsec. Parsec installs a virtual monitor on the OS. Then I can for instance keep something running the VM and still close RDP/Parsec window.

No, actually I enter through Remote Desktop protocol, nothing else needed. However, I still installed Parsec. Parsec installs a virtual monitor on the OS. Then I can for instance keep something running the VM and still close RDP/Parsec window.
I see,
I recently write up my experience sharing on bypassing Intel N100 GPU + HDMI, i.e. the HDMI can output the Windows os and also audio, Intel graphic driver is also installed properly: https://upsangel.com/htpc-nas/iommu-vfio-gpo-proxmox-pve-pcie直通和核顯hdmi直通設置參數解釋/ (please let google translate or other AI tool to help into your language if needed)
Basically two BIOS ROM files are needed to help booting up the Windows VM.

I am wondering what's the pros and cons comparing your method (GVT-g bypassing) and "my" method (setting up vBIOS files)?

hello, i had done same steps. but i can only use one VM (windows and ubuntu) at a time with GPU passthrough. otherwise I get following error.
1701376980769.png

I was able to enable GPU passthrough for my Intel HD 610 (Pentium G4560) and Gigabyte h110m-ds2 motherboard fairly easily. Jellyfin h/w transcode in privileged LXC and video playback/discord stream in Win 11 was successful. However, I would really love a full passthrough instead of GVT-g which everyone said is slower. Guide me someone if you can.

In the mean time, leaving here how I enabled GVT-G passthrough and added to Win 11 VM:

Install the required drivers on the Proxmox host.

Edit grub

Find the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and change to following:

Put command:

Reboot the Proxmox node.

Validate changes. It showed IOMMU enabled

Edit modules

Save and exit the editor and enter

Reboot the Proxmox node.

Find the PCI address of the iGPU.

This should result in output similar to this:

Then from the hardware section of the VM, I added PCI-E device like this:
View attachment 56153

Start/Restart Win 11 VM and install Intel driver there.

Later on, I enabled RDP on Win 11 VM and disbled Display from VM Setting in proxmox.
View attachment 56154

Then connected using a local PC with wifi and the connection was pretty stable and youtube playback was pretty smooth (some frame drop/skip which may be my network issue too not sure). Also tested with potplayer, discord stream, all worked fairly well.
Hi,

I have the oposite problem, pci passtrough is working for me, but I'm unable to activate GVT-g. I've followed all steps on your guide, that are the same as other guides on google, but i can't select MDev Type, it's locked.

I've and intel i5-10400 (UHD 630) with proxmox 8.1.3.

Could you help me?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I have the oposite problem, pci passtrough is working for me, but I'm unable to activate GVT-g. I've followed all steps on your guide, that are the same as other guides on google, but i can't select MDev Type, it's locked.

I've and intel i5-10400 (UHD 630) with proxmox 8.1.

Could you help me?

Thanks in advance
Hi please in not able tò passthrough Intel 10500 and uhd 630. Can you tell me steps you did? Many thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!