[SOLVED] email_from in Datacenter.cfg seems to be ignored

Fett

Dec 26, 2017
I am running Proxmox 6.1-5. I use a Smarthost to relay e-mails, and my postfix configuration seems to be set up correctly as I can send a test e-mail like this:
echo "body of your email" | mail -s "This is a Subject" -a "From: validaccount@mydomain.com" root
and I receive the e-mail.
However when the proxmox system sends e-mails to root, and they forward to the e-mail set for the root user, they end up bouncing back from my Smarthost because they are being sent as root@hostname.local.domain, and I need them to be send as validaccount@mydomain.com.

From what I understand, this is the purpose of the email_from setting in the datacenter.cfg. I have entered the e-mail here validaccount@mydomain.com but it does not seem to be working.

What do I need to do, in order for e-mails that forward to the root e-mail account be sent out as validaccount@mydomain.com?

Please post the (anonymized) logs of both of these test-emails.
the 'email_from' sets the envelope-from address (the one used during the SMTP dialogue) - your testmails sets the From header inside the mail
(It would be odd if a smart-host uses the From header for validation and access)

maybe your Smarthost offers SMTPAUTH - which you could configure

I hope this helps!

Glad you found a workaround!

Please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - it helps others with a similar issue.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!