e1000 vs virtio

simow

Jun 30, 2020
What is the difference between E1000 and virtio? I have read that Virtio should only be used for performance in documents. then why the e1000 adapter is still in options. Which one should I use for Centos 7.8? Do I need to install a driver for vitio on default centos 7.8? What is the speed difference in the field? e1000 1 Gb virtio 10 Gb running

Last edited:
VirtIO is paravirtualized while e1000 is emulated. So for performance you want to use VirtIO. If required for compatibility reasons, e1000 can be used.
CentOS 7.8 comes with a kernel that has VirtIO support already integrated so you should be fine selecting VirtIO.

Reactions: rursache
Hello,
I use now the virtio driver for the netwoerk card....
I get a vport0p1 device...

The speed of the network is very slow.
I use proxmox ve 6.44 and have installed the vertio drivers

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!